"If only you knew."

Seven years later...

Claire groaned as she stared at the empty living room, expecting everyone to be awake. Another glance is all it took for her to yell out.
"You're going to be late!"
A few clatters and thuds later, Corianne came running down from the stairs, bag in hand.
"I overslept," she mumbled.
"Clearly. Toby has been waiting outside for nearly twenty minutes! You're lucky he's offering to drop you off every day while your father is out of town."
She gave her mother a sleepy nod and ran out the door before getting another lecture. Toby honked at the sight of her yawning in an attempt to wake her.
"Mondays?" Toby asked, watching as she got into the car. "It's kind of hard to believe how old you are sometimes. Like a five-year-old with the mental capacity of a ten-year-old?"
He got startled by a hard knock on the car window, turning around to see Claire with another bag in her hand. After lowering the glass, he grabbed the bag and handed it to Cory, who was still sulking in the back.
"Tobes, don't say anything to her right now. She's... slightly upset after a conversation we had yesterday."
"Let me guess," he started. "Jim isn't actually out of town, is he?"
"He's in the shadow realm, thinking that he'll find answers there. I warned him not to get his hopes up, but Jim being the stubborn guy he is, refuses to give up."
"Can we go now?" Corianne asked from her seat. "I thought we were going to be late."
"Oh yes!" Claire exclaimed, jumping back from the car. She waved as it pulled out of the driveway and headed onto the road. Her hand dropped to her side and she ran inside.
A portal appeared, Jim stepping out with a look of despair.
"Nothing," he managed to say before she asked. "You were right. Maybe it is hopeless after all."
"Jim," she said, her voice ominous. "We need to talk about this." She gestured to him and the portal with her index finger, clearly not pleased with the situation.
"I know what you're going to-"
"No you don't," she cut him off. "Cory has been bored out of her mind wanting to see you. Not to mention, all of the trolls have also missed you. And I... I've also missed you."
"Claire," he started, walking up to her and talking her hands in his. "I just don't want Corianne to live a life of fear or- or anything that we had to go through. You can blame Merlin for this whole situation, but I'm trying to fix it."
"Why are you talking about it like it's a bad thing? It's the only reason you're still alive!" She nearly yelled, snatching her hands away and facing the wall. He tried putting a hand on her shoulder, but she nudged him away, shaking her head in disapproval.
"You have a life, Jim. Maybe you should try to live it." Claire stomped away, rushing inside the house and up the stairs. A loud slam and then silence.
"If only you knew."

Ps. The story starts from here! Enjoy the ride :D And the chapters will get longer eventually, so bear with me.

-Nightfall201