23.

Gordon Lachance pov:

I waited till his dad left before I opened the door and walked inside. I knocked on Chris's door but let myself inside. "Chris?" He didn't roll over in his bed. I closed the door and walked over to him. "There's blood on your pillowcase, that wasn't there the other day. But uh, you haven't spoke to me for 5 days, everything alright?" "No Gordie, it isn't. My dads on an aggressive spree. He almost killed my brother. I confronted him today but he's just beat me up. I don't want to get out of bed because it hurts when I move." I got up and stepped over him so I was on the other side of his bed, facing him. He wasn't wrong. His eye was so swallow that he couldn't even see out of it. His nose looked broken. Blood had obviously come out of his mouth and his lip was sliced open, like it had been sliced with a knife. "Chris.." "Its okay Gordie." He put his hand on my cheek. "No Chris it's not okay. I know you don't want me to worry but I've had enough of the 'It's okay'. It's not okay. And I'm not leaving until you tell me how you are feeling right now. Talk to me."

His lip began to quiver. He wiped his eyes. I removed his hand from my cheek and instead placed my hand by his ear. "It's okay to cry." "I- I feel like I've got this weight on my shoulders to make sure everyone's okay and I don't want anyone to worry about me because it's useless. I'm useless. What do I do other than cause problems? I get in the way of you and Lydia. I'm sorry for everything that I do Gordie, I know I'm no help but I really do try." He cried. "Chris, you don't have to make sure everyone's okay while keeping your feelings away. I'm here to listen, okay? And you're not useless and you don't cause problems. You solve them. Lydia and me are just friends but she talks to me about things that I can't talk to other people about." He smiled. "Come here." I moved closer to him and wrapped my arms around him. He wrapped his arms around me and cried on my shoulder.

We stayed like that for a few minutes. "So you don't like Lydia?" "No Chris." "Mm. Okay."