Chapter 28

The journey in the rover was filled with a heavy silence, a somber mood that seemed to stretch the hours into days. Octavia, Jasper, Bellamy, and I each lost in our thoughts, the road ahead unfolding with a monotony that matched the dull ache in my heart. I found solace in my sketchbook, the tip of my pencil tracing the contours of Lexa's face, her features etched in my memory. Each stroke was a tribute, a way to keep her alive, if only on paper. I drew what I imagined our child, Saros, might have looked like. The name, inspired by the sun's mysterious cycle, felt apt for a life that would remain unknown, full of potential never to be realized. It was a small comfort, a way to honor a life that had barely begun.

As I sketched, a fear gnawed at me – the fear of forgetting. It seemed irrational; how could I ever forget Lexa, the love of my life, or our child? But grief has a way of clouding the mind, and the act of drawing became a ritual to ward off the creeping doubt, to solidify their images in my mind. Octavia occasionally glanced over, her eyes reflecting a mix of sorrow and understanding. Jasper and Bellamy respected the silence, each grappling with their own demons. We were all changed by our experiences, scarred by losses that seemed to accumulate with each passing day. The drawings were more than just images on a page; they were a testament to love and loss, to dreams unfulfilled and memories cherished. They were a reminder of what had been and what could have been. Each line, each shade, was a piece of my heart, a part of my soul laid bare on paper.

As the miles rolled by, the landscape outside the rover's window changing yet remaining the same, I clung to my sketchbook like a lifeline. It was a connection to the past, a bridge to a future where, perhaps, the pain would lessen, and the memories would bring more smiles than tears. In the quiet of the rover, amidst the sorrow and the shared understanding of loss, I continued to draw, to remember, and to hope. For in remembering Lexa and Saros, in keeping their memory alive, they continued to live on, not just in my sketches, but in the very essence of who I had become.

As the rover ground to a halt, a palpable sense of frustration and uncertainty enveloped us. We had been following the map from Lincoln's book with a glimmer of hope, only to be met with the daunting reality of our situation. Jasper's whining about the inaccuracies of the map and the possibility of being days away from our destination only added to the growing tension. Bellamy, ever the leader, suggested we backtrack to find a clearer path, but Octavia, with her keen instincts, seemed to hear something that drew her away. We followed suit, plunging into the dense foliage on foot. Jasper's complaints about the potential distance to the village faded into the background as we focused on keeping pace with Octavia.

The sound of water soon became apparent, and Octavia's pace quickened. Bellamy's caution about potential hostility was met with my insistence that the locals wouldn't be hostile. Guns were unnecessary where we were headed – or so I believed. We emerged from the trees to see the vast expanse of the ocean stretching endlessly before us. It was a breathtaking sight, but under our current circumstances, it felt more like a mocking reminder of our isolation. Jasper's disbelief was palpable as he questioned the absence of the village, only to be met with the realization that what we sought was not here.

Octavia's frustration was evident as she flipped through Lincoln's journal, desperately trying to reconcile the drawings with our surroundings. Her despair was heartbreaking to witness. The village, a symbol of hope and a potential ally in our struggle, had vanished, leaving us stranded and directionless. Octavia's scream, raw and filled with grief, echoed our collective frustration. As she ran into the woods, Bellamy's attempt to reach out to her was futile. Her action was more than just a physical retreat; it was a manifestation of the emotional turmoil that we all felt.

In that moment, standing by the ocean, the weight of our journey, the losses we had endured, and the uncertainty of our future seemed to converge. The mission to find Luna had been a beacon of hope in a world shrouded in darkness. Now, with that beacon extinguished, we were left to confront the harsh reality of our situation. The ocean's rhythmic waves provided a stark contrast to the chaos of our emotions. We were a group united by a common goal, now adrift in a sea of uncertainty, each grappling with the question of what to do next. The path forward was unclear, and the burden of finding a new direction weighed heavily on us all.