Chapter Nineteen - The Truth

Hero

Using strips torn from Josephine's underskirt, Hero bound and gagged Avendale after taking great satisfaction in delivering a blow to the man's jaw when he'd begun to stir

Using strips torn from Josephine's underskirt, Hero bound and gagged Avendale after taking great satisfaction in delivering a blow to the man's jaw when he'd begun to stir. Hero was not of a mind to be gentle or forgiving. It didn't help matters that his head had begun to pound mercilessly. He actually envied Avendale his unconscious state.

With great effort, he hoisted Avendale over his shoulder. With Josephine at his side, they began making their way back to the manor. No path marked the way, but the terrain wasn't too rugged. The rain, however, had increased in intensity, but Hero didn't mind. With any luck, it might reduce the fire's damage to the manor.

"If the house were still burning, don't you think we'd see fire in the distance?" Josephine asked.

"Yes. The servants and the village's fire brigade no doubt got it under control."

"Your head's bothering you, isn't it?"

"I'll be all right."

"What are you going to do with Avendale tonight?"

"If the manor still stands, put him in the wine cellar. It has a door with a lock and a bar."

"And after that?"

"You and I will return to London. I'll come back for Avendale once I've made arrangements. Until then, my most trusted servants will keep him imprisoned and fed."

"What will the arrangements entail?"

Groaning, he shook his head. "I can't think clearly right now, Josephine."

She wrapped her hand around his upper arm as though to steady him. "You're in a great deal of pain."

"It's never been this bad." It was all he could do to put one foot in front of the other. He was still baffled by how he knew about the passage, but concentrating only made his headache worse and he thought if it got much more painful that he might actually lose consciousness. Instead he focused on Josephine's hand on his arm. He thought about her silky body beneath his and the pain eased a little. He concentrated on remembering how wonderful it had felt to sink into her. The pain in his head eased a little more, but he began to ache elsewhere.

Better to simply concentrate on walking.

Eventually they reached the manor. It appeared undamaged until they went around to the wing where the library had been. A portion had collapsed and little remained except charred remnants.

"My lord!" His butler rushed over. "We feared the worst."

Hero dropped Avendale onto the ground. "What's the damage?"

"We were fortunate. Only this wing sustained any real damage. The other wing and the main portion of the house are unscathed and habitable."

"Good." Hero stepped over what remained of the wall near the chimney that had withstood the assault. The secret door was gone. A gaping hole revealed the stairs leading down into the passage. "Were you aware this passage existed?"