Chapter Twenty-Four: Static and Silence

Green awoke between one breath and the next, shifting from sleep to alertness with the efficient snap of a light switch. His eyes cracked open slightly, staring at the wall right by his face, but otherwise not even daring to twitch. He didn't know if that sound had just been the building settling, or maybe it was even-

No. No point in overthinking it. No point in thinking at all.

He just needed to do as he was told.

He had only been lying there, curled protectively on his side, for a few more breaths when the now-familiar sound of hooves hitting hard ground echoed throughout the building, steadily growing louder as Draxum approached.

Although not an explicit command, the return of Draxum after Green had been left alone with permission to rest was enough of an instruction in itself at this point. Draxum's reaction to finding him still sleeping the second day here had been... unpleasant.

Green got to his feet, doing a quick check to ensure that his bandages were all neatly wrapped and his helmet was on straight. He barely had finished his once-over when Draxum entered, the half cape around his waist billowing out behind him.

He spared Green half of a glance and a soft "hmm" before stalking past him, more interested in the oozesquitoes in the center of the lab. He pulled out a vial of pulsing green ooze, inserting it into the main chamber's control panel, as Green remained still, watching from a tense stance.

"Green," Draxum said, breaking the silence. "Go get one of the spare jars and get over here. I have four more planned targets to get to today."

The weapon was already moving, obediently fetching another glass container from the corner of the room before hurrying back to Draxum.

Something wasn't right.

Green discreetly glanced around the room, gaze lingering around the ceiling as he looked for Huginn and Muninn. They had always been around, chattering and laughing or napping on either Green or Draxum's shoulders. He couldn't see them anywhere, but Draxum didn't acknowledge that they were even gone.

He held the jar up, resisting the urge to flinch as Draxum took it from him and pulled a lever, lifting the jar up to a nozzle that slid open to allow a swarm of bugs to angrily enter and rattle against the glass. He screwed the top shut, and, without looking, held it out to Green with one hand without any further comment.

The red-eared slider reached out to take it.

"You know," Draxum started casually, staring at the larger vat of oozesquitoes, his eyes reflecting their vivid green colors. "As your creator, I know you. Better than even yourself." Without moving his head, his eyes flicked towards Green. "Did you think I wouldn't notice that you intentionally allow as many humans as possible to survive when I'm not obviously watching?"

Green froze, his hands wrapped around the jar, Draxum not letting go. He tried to swallow, his knees threatening to knock together.

"A moment of hesitation here, a missed stab there... what am I to do about that?" Draxum mused. "A weapon with a sense of mercy does me no good, Green. You're just to do as you are told. Not waste time and resources trying to spare the enemy."

He finally let go of the jar, Green pulling it to his chest as Draxum turned to fully face him. He tried to look away, but Draxum grabbed one of the horns of his helmet, wrenching Green's head back towards him so that they were face-to-face.

"You've already killed dozens of humans and yokai alike," Draxum said softly, Green unable to even look down at his feet to escape from Draxum's pinning gaze. "You're either worth something as you embrace what you were created to be, or you are worth nothing. No one would want a weapon without a purpose. Do you understand?"