Chapter 12: Forbidden Arts of the Nine Hues

"Amity

"Amity... Amity, please hold on."

Luz couldn't fight back her tears, which were obscuring her view of  her grievously wounded girlfriend. She still couldn't believe that she was holding someone in her arms that looked charred, part of her body crumbling into ash. This wasn't her sweet potato. It couldn't be. And yet...

"Luuhhh....L-Luuuzzz..." Amity raised her hand, the singed skin of which was chipping away, and held it to her human's face. "Don't... worry about me. You hhhh... have to keep going. Stop him. Ssss-stop them... both."

"No. No, I won't leave you! I'll figure something out. I'll save you! I have to save you!! It's all my fault this happened! If I never came here at all, you'd all be better off."

"Thaaa... That's a lie... and you know it. You... you fffind me one person... here... that regrets... having you... in th-their lives..."

Eda put her hand on Luz's shoulder, her eyes flooding with tears of her own. "C'mon, kid, nobody thinks this is your fault."

"Mija, we'll do everything we can for her." Camila put a hand on Luz's other shoulder. "Viney and the twins are here, too. We'll fix her up."

"But her eyes!" Luz panicked. "There's something wrong with them! Why are they all dark? What's coming out of them?!"

"Don't worry about that. It's normal for her." Eda assured her.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S NORMAL FOR HER?!"

"Please, Luz...." Emira was quite articulate despite how hard she was crying. "...just leave her to us."

"Guhhh... Gus, Willow and K-K-King need you..." Amity struggled to tell her girlfriend. "Please... help them."

Luz cried more intensely. "I... I can't! I can't leave you! I started all this! I DID THIS TO YOU!!"

"No..." Amity leaned in closer. "I did this... to... to mmm-myself."

"What?! You didn't help Philip back then! You didn't show him the light glyph or help him find the Collec--" Amity put a finger to Luz's lips to stop her rambling.

"Aaa...and could y-you have done any of ... any of that if it wuhh...weren't for me?"

"I... how is that your--?"

"I helped you fff-find that diary. I wanted you... to get back... to your mom, buhhh...but I also wanted...wanted to impress you. I showed you how... to get the info... from the ehhhh... echo mouse. Then I just hahhh... had to lead the ch-charge to Eclipse Lake. And because... I had t-to prove how awesome I was... I...I lost the key... It's my fault... Belos had what hhhhh... he needed to finish... his plan..."

"You... no!  You didn't... you couldn't have known how this would all turn out!"

"And... and you could?"