Chapter 13: Win, Luz, or Die

The deed was done. Luz had successfully used the Collector's wall trap she had obtained earlier to cut Belos off from Gus, King and Willow. Now, the three could obtain the prize and win this King of the Hill challenge, thereby saving the Boiling Isles, while Belos was trapped in a chamber of solid stone...

...and Luz with him.

"Enjoy your pyrrhic victory with what little time you have left..." Belos hissed. "...this trap won't hold me long enough. I'll still obtain that prize and use it to wipe out all life in these wretched Isles!"

"The trap probably can't, but I can." Luz stared him down.

The former emperor laughed. "You seriously believe that you can stop me? Your magic still cannot compare to my power."

"It doesn't have to. I don't need to stop you, just keep you busy until the others get that prize."

"You'll die. You know that."

Luz didn't falter. "I told you before, I'd do anything to save the people I love."

"Then you've truly thrown your life away for nothing."

Belos summoned his great broadsword, which his new, hulking form picked up with ease, and raised it to strike. Just then, a small pink glow appeared in the ceiling, drawing a giant square above him. He only had time to notice the glow before the carved-out portion of the ceiling fell and crushed him. When the dust settled, another witch came through the square hole and landed in front of Luz.

"Amity?!" Luz was astonished to see her girlfriend. "How did you find me? What happened to Odalia?"

Amity stood trembling.

"Amity... what's wrong?"

"WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?!"

Luz was shook up by the witch's response. "Wha--? What do you mean?"

"You decided to face Belos alone AGAIN!" Amity's tears belied her anger. "Why do you insist on taking on these problems by yourself? Why can't you trust us to help you?!"

"Because I don't want any more people getting hurt because of me!"

"Even if it means dying in the process?!"

Luz couldn't even look Amity in the eye.

"You don't want us getting hurt? What do you think losing you would do to us? To Eda? To King? To Camila?" Amity was on the verge of breaking down emotionally. "To me?"

Luz turned away. "None of you deserve to pay for my mistake."

"Is that why you decided to leave the Demon Realm for good?" Amity's remark gave the human pause.

"How... who told you?"

"You did."

"I don't understand..."

"After all the time we've been together, you think I can't tell when you're hiding something? The way you pull away from me when I show you any affection, the pangs of guilt you express when we all discuss Belos or the Collector, the sad look in your eyes when we talk about rebuilding or life after this stupid game... do you honestly think I'm so naive to not notice?"

"Amity... I didn't want this, but it's for the best."

"NO! You don't get to decide what's best for me! I'm not some prop you can just set aside, and I am sick of being pushed away!"