Chapter 4 - The Sorting Hat

The door immediately swung open at once. Standing before them was a tall black-haired witch in emerald green robes. The stern look in her eyes told (Y/N) that this was not someone he should dare to cross.

Hagrid: The firs' years, Professor McGonagall

The woman, known as Minerva McGonagall, looked around at all the new students.

McGonagall: Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.

She opened the doors, revealing the large entrance hall that could easily fit numerous houses inside. Flaming torches lit the stone walls, and a great marble staircase led to the upper floors.

Professor McGonagall led them across the flagged stone floor. (Y/N) could hear the distinct sound of numerous voices from a doorway to the right. He figured that the rest of the school was already here.

They were led into a small empty chamber off the hall, where they all crowded in.

McGonagall: Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room.

McGonagall peered over the first years before continuing.

McGonagall: The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history, and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.

Her eyes lingered on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose. (Y/N) noticed as Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair.

McGonagall: I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly.

(Y/N) looked towards Hermione:

(Y/N): Do I look presentable?

Hermione looked him over and smiled.

Hermione: Yes, very much. How about me?

He quickly looked her over and smiled back.

(Y/N): You look good to me.

(Y/N) missed the slight tinge of pink on her cheeks when his attention was diverted to Harry, who asked.

Harry: How exactly do they sort us into Houses?

Ron: Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.

(Y/N): As long as nobody dies this time.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all gave him a look of horror, to which (Y/N) lightly chuckled.

(Y/N): Relax, I'm only joking. Whatever it is, I doubt it would be anything too difficult, seeing as we've only just arrived.

Ron groaned in annoyance while Harry looked slightly relieved, and Hermione lightly punched (Y/N)'s shoulder.

Ron: Stop, it's not funny!

(Y/N) smirked and held his chin.

(Y/N): Debatable. The looks on your faces were priceless.