Chapter 5

Magical book-pinterest-Uploaded by Air Structure

"Master Warlock Stone, look! We have a lock on a large signature of energy!" a young scholar in a baggy distinguished robe shouted. 

The fiftey-something Warlock got up from his desk to walk around to his understudies's findings. Otis was the young scholar's name. He stood beside him and crossed his arms while absent mindedly stroking his peppered beard as he studied the full body length mirror. There was a large movable map on it. On the side, they had a scanner, that sent sonic waves geared to magical sources in the area. And right now, a ping could be heard from whenever their magical scanner's large white waves hit the source. 

"And look at this, it even spans higher than most of the magical creatures!" he added, pointing to the legend that they had. It was well known that every insect to large creature has some level of magically energy. The mysterious source landed in between the Unicorn and the Manticore. The lowest, was a pesky bed bug.

"Extraordinary Otis! All our efforts have finally paid off." said Quintus Stone slapping the young man on the shoulders.

Otis's glasses lurched forward slightly. He responded, "Thank you Sir." as he adjusted his  frames.

For the past year and a half they have been tracking down an energy signature that rivalled the woodland and aquatic animals of the area. They couldn't believe that it even went past most of the fantastically creatures too.

Otis watched his master take a piece of paper and pen, scribbling a message before sealing it with his signet. Then he opened the door to a set of spiral staircases that ascended up. A few minutes he came back with a falcon on his arm.

His master went to the opened window. It's view of the valley and the stone wall of their fortress stretched out below.

"Fly now bird and deliver the message." he told it, sticking the message in a small courier tube strapped on the bird. He set  the speckled feathered creature on the window sill. The falcon cawed in response as it soared through the air towards where it's intended receiver would be.

Otis looked up from the books he was piling into a stack, "Sending a message to the others Master?" he guessed.

"Yes." Then his attention focused back on the gold rim mirror, "Otis, never mind the books. Try tracking where this is coming from. We need an estimate location." 

"Gladly can!" Otis answered, taking his wand and started taping on various places of the magically mirror. Holographic symbols popped up.

His master then took up the books and started putting them away. A few minutes later, Otis looked back at his master, who was now on a long wooden ladder.

"Master Warlock, what are we planning to do with the creature?"

Looking down, he studied his pupil's pinched faced and sighed, "It's private information and only for those in the council to know." he snapped. 

Otis flinched at his teacher's outburst. Every student of Master Warlock Stone knew that he was prone to quick temperament. There had been a time a few years back during one of his earlier classes that he had with Master Stone. The professor in his fit,  accused the student of having "a brain of a goldfish". 

The student replied back, "Give me another chance-" but before he could finish a green light beam shot out of the professor's wand and zapped the student. 

A sharp gasp erupted the classroom. Master Stone was breathing heavily from the heated argument. "Is she dead Master Stone?" someone decided to ask after a few stunned moments.