10. Unforgettable (Chris)

"Hey, you alright?" Deon turns off the running water and crouches by the tub, cupping my face in his palms. His hands are ice-cold. I shiver at the contrast to the hot air in the bathroom. He rubs his thumb soothingly on my chin. "You're so pale. I'm sorry I scared you. It's ok now. The bird is gone. He wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose. It's just that the cold his body emits is too dangerous."

   I don't even dare muse on the pronounce he just used for what we know to be an animal, and the way he talks about it, as if it's an old friend. I reach out instinctively and run my fingers over his cheeks. They are even colder than his palms. There is frost stuck to his beard and all over his hair. It is such a relief to be able to touch him again. The thought that I could lose him a day after meeting him was so unbearable that it caused me physical pain. The urge to warm him and make him feel better is overwhelming. The other guy mentioned Deon was unhappy because he could not find a certain person. It is strange, but for a split second, I wished it was me, despite the dreadful suspicion which was trying to settle in my mind. 'Out of guilt,' Secundus said. Why does Deon feel guilty? What did they do? I chase the disturbing notion away. I am not going to jump to conclusions before learning all the facts. He is such a gentle, kind man. This cannot be denied, although he is surrounded by mystery and I am beginning to doubt whether he is actually human. Tenebris. Sounds so beautiful. I can't wait to find out what the word means. Is it his actual name? Could be his rank as well. Is he a royalty? Where is his home? 

   I take a labored breath to calm myself. My arms move on their own and snake around his neck. I pull him towards me, burying my nose in the soft fabric of his sweater. It is wet from the melting ice crystals. I do not mind. It is so good to be in his embrace. I want more, so I move even closer, leaning on his chest. I can't recognize myself, but it won't stop me.

   "You did not frighten me," I manage to utter. "The bird did, but I am fine. You saved me... again."

   "You should never be afraid when you are with me," he says hoarsely, stroking my hair. "Or, perhaps you should. I... I never want it... but it still happens... People get hurt around me."

   "I'll be safe," I am quick to interrupt him. He sounds sad and it breaks my heart. I barely know him, but still care about him more than I am concerned about my own life. Deep inside I know he deserves it. His stubble brushes my forehead and I say something that I have never expected to hear come out of my mouth. "Can I kiss you?"

   I am utterly shocked. What is wrong with me? It must be the adrenalin and the euphoric feeling that always comes after escaping almost certain death. A heavy blush heats my cheeks. Deon is silent. My embarrassment grows stronger by the minute. My heart is racing. I try to ease the tension, but only make it worse by blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. "I've never... uhg... This will be my first kiss."

   "Oh, my God!" he groans, pulling away from me. "Chris... This is not a good idea... I shouldn't..."

   I am mortified. How did it even occur to me that he would want to kiss me? I must be crazy. Why would he do that? What if he really is a prince? This is not a fairy tale. We are not the prince and the pauper*. Even Mark Twain would laugh at that. Fuck! This is why I am better off alone. This is why I keep away from the shelters. Feelings suck. They hurt. I don't like them.

*The Prince and the Pauper - a novel by Mark Twain, telling about Edward Tudor, the heir to the throne of England who meets a poor boy, same age as him and with similar appearance. They decide to switch places as the prince is tired of the strict court rules.

   "I'm sorry," I mutter. "I have no idea what got me..."

   I do not get to finish my clumsy apology as I am grabbed by the front of the shirt and dragged out of the tub in one swift motion. The next moment his mouth is on mine. The sensation is so amazing that I am suddenly week at the knees. He is tender, only pressing his lips to mine, but it feels like fire. They start to move slowly. It is more than I can take. My body is melting. I am shaking like a leaf. My hands seek for support, taking a firm hold of his shoulders, but it is pointless. My emotions are all over the place. Deon bites my bottom lip and a long, throaty moan escapes me. I grasp the mask covering my eyes and yank it fiercely. The need to see him is stronger than ever. I am hot and bothered, flustered, happy, afraid and stunned. All at the same time.