Let's Begin

My jaw simply drops open. Never in my entire life have I ever imagined something like this existed, let alone have seen it. The bathroom is the same dimensions as my room, so obviously the magic or science or whatever created this can't go beyond the confines of the walls.

I peek my head over to Ash's room and see her standing there much like I was, with her mouth hanging wide open and her eyes about to pop from her head.

"What the..." I hear her whisper.

"Yeah, I know, right?!" I agree with her.

"Have you ever," she leaves the question hanging, but I know what she means. I shake my head in amazement.

"Well, I don't know what to say except 'enjoy'," I tell her and go into my room, scanning my bracelet on the panel on the inside to close the door. I don't even know where to start, but it seems that my body decides for me as my bladder suddenly tells me it's time to use the facilities. I relieve myself then decide to do something I have never done in my entire life.

I walk to the oversized tub and get the water flowing. I see a button marked "Jets" and press that. I hear a whirring sound and soon the water is being pushed out by air in the sides of the tub. I put my hand in and find that the sensation is rather pleasant. I undress and pick up the robe hanging from a hook. I put the soft, luxurious robe on and hug it to my face. I notice a familiar scent that I can't quite place. I realize after a few seconds that the scent is my mother's. Lavender from the flowers she would grow in the kitchen window box, yeast from the bread she would make all the time and a musky bergamot oil she used on her hands to keep them soft. A tear forms in my eye. I let the tear fall down my cheek as I inhale the comforting scent.

The tub is just about done filling up when I notice a shelf of bottles sitting just above the tub rim. I take one down and read the label.

"Naaf's Bath Elixer Guaranteed to make your skin softer and younger."

Although I highly doubt it'll make my skin softer and younger, it does smell good, so I pour a generous amount of the translucent brown liquid into the tub and shut off the tap. I drop my robe and sink into the steamy water. Never in my life have I experienced such sinful luxury. Surely even the creator wouldn't be able to come up with something so wonderful. I smile and sigh as I sink deeper into the scented water.

I'm awoken by the sound of pounding on my door. I jolt up, spilling water over the side of the tub. The water is tepid, and I realize that I'm starting to freeze. I jump out, wrap myself in my robe and towel to warm up and go to the door. I place the bracelet against the panel and the door slides open. Standing on the other side is Ash.

"Sorry. I thought you would be out and dressed by now. I'll go back to my room." She turns to leave. I throw my arm out and stop her.

"Wait. No, it's okay. I fell asleep in the tub. That's the first time in my life that I've taken a bath. Usually, it's really short showers in a really small stall."

"I understand. All the same. I'll go to my room and give you a chance to get dressed." She smiles at me. A genuine, happy smile; the first I've seen from her since I met her. She turns and goes into her room. As her back disappears through the doorway, I feel an overwhelming sense of foreboding and despair.

I'm awoken by the sound of buzzing and beeping coming from my bracelet. My mind plays over the last couple days as I laze about in bed. The evening before last was wonderful. Ash and I stayed up late just talking, getting to know each other. The electricity that I felt earlier that day hadn't returned, so we were easily able to converse without worrying about any tension.