Chapter 5

It's the next day.

Rayena and Tsireya are out for a swim, when they see Lo'ak walking on his own. He seems upset, as he has his head down, in his own world.

"Tsireya you should talk to him. He's upset because of yesterday" Rayena says.
"But Neteyam" Tsireya looks to her friend. 
"This is not about Neteyam. Lo'ak likes you. He was worried that you were worried about him yesterday when I found you. He is very fond of you Tsireya. And I'm sure Neteyam can see that too, so he won't say anything" Rayena assures her.

Tsireya hesitates but looks up again. And it hurt her to see Lo'ak like that on his own. So she goes to him, and Rayena stays behind.

"Rayena" someone then calls out.
She turns around and sees Neteyam standing behind her.
"Oh Neteyam. I'm sorry, do you want to sit here?" She asks and stands up.
"You can sit down too" he says to her and sits down. So she sits next to him.

"How are you? And Lo'ak?" Rayena asks.
"I am fine. Lo'ak? Not so much" Neteyam replies.
Rayena nods, "your father is quite harsh on him."
"I know. Sometimes it makes me feel helpless, because he will not listen to me anyways" Neteyam replies.

"As long as he has his brother, I don't think Lo'ak has anything to worry about. You are a good brother to him" Rayena replies.
"I felt like I failed yesterday. After everything my father said, and I took my anger out on you guys. I'm sorry" Neteyam says.

She shakes her head no, "it's okay, I understand. You don't have to be sorry."
Rayena then looks to Lo'ak, who is sitting down next to Tsireya, talking.

"He is so young. To be told that he brings shame to the family. I understand why he is hurt. And why you are hurt too. I mean your father, he wants to look out for you,  but whilst doing that I think hurtful words just slip out" Rayena says.
"Quite a lot" Neteyam replies.
"Hopefully it will get better" Rayena replies. 

There a moment of silence between the two.
But Rayena remembered something Neteyam said to her last night.

"By the way, Aonung is not my boyfriend. We are just friends. He does try to make it into something more, but he is more of a brother to me. Tonowari calls me daughter. I think that says more than enough" Rayena says and laughs.

Neteyam smiles, "well, he does seem to be really fond of you."
"You know who I think is really fond of who? I think Lo'ak is very fond of Tsireya" Raneya says to him.

Neteyam looks forward, as he sees Tsireya and Lo'ak talking to each other. 
"Well he does talk about Tsireya a lot" Neteyam confesses.
"What does he say?" Rayena asks.

"Well I can't tell you. That's a conversation between us boys" Neteyam replies.
"I won't tell her" she replies.
Neteyam shakes his head no, "a secret must be kept a secret. Always."

"Very well. You are loyal to you brother. I respect that" Rayena replies.

"I am very proud of Lo'ak. Seeing him bond with a Tulkun. Not the best Tulkun to bond with because people will talk, but it is something" Rayena says.
"He bonded with a Tulkun?" Neteyam asked.

Rayena nods her head, "when i found him yesterday at the reef. He was with a tulkun. His name is Payakan. When I saw them together, it was like they were best friends. Like they've known each other for so long. So I am proud of him for adapting and learning our ways."

Rayena turns around as she hears some rustling but there's nothing there. Just a bush nearby being blown by the wind.
She turns back around and sees that Neteyam has left.
"Well. A goodbye would have been nice" Rayena says to herself.
-
Rayena joins the others as they are sat around at the beach, discussing about what Lo'ak had saw at the reef.