Chapter Six: Kilian

River stared at me in utter shock. She was still in her pajamas, standing in the doorway of her dorm. Her arms crossed over her chest. She had been standing like that, silently, for almost five minutes. I knew this because I'd been checking my watch.

"You have to be kidding me," she said at last.

I shook my head, a manic grin on my face, "I wish I were. I think."

River sighed, "I don't know, Kilian. This doesn't sound like a good idea."

I frowned.

"I guess it just depends on the people in charge. Margaux seems pretty level-headed. She's only aiming for counterattacks."

River stepped out into the hall and closed the door behind her. Her roommate snorted loudly as the door clicked shut. She leaned against the shut door and crossed her legs at the ankles. Her long braids were pulled up into a bun on the top of her head.

"Shouldn't you hit them before they hit you again? Both literally and figuratively?"

"Okay, two points to that: A, I thought you disagreed with this idea? And B, I'm not literally hitting anyone."

"Yes, yes, I know, Sir Gentleman and all that. But I'm not sure how I feel about this."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, I wouldn't mind them getting a taste of their own medicine. But there needs to be a line drawn here. If there isn't one drawn, then you could end up being as bad as they are. I mean, you three are just stumbling around like the three blind mice right now."

I nodded, "I can understand that."

River shook her head quickly, as if trying to get something out of it.

"What is it?" I wondered.

"You're supposed to be the responsible one," she complained, "not me! Take your job back!"

I laughed and gave her a quick hug.

"Sorry, but thanks for the help," I said.

"No problem," she replied, "now I'm going back to bed."

I checked my watch again. Frowning, I looked back up at her.

"It's lunch time."

"To each their own," she said in a sing-song voice as she retreated back into her cave of darkness.

"Hey," I called after her.

She poked her head back out.

"If we are the three blind mice, then let's just hope our tails don't get chopped off."

"Yeah, you give that farmer's wife a run for her money," she replied before disappearing completely.

Chuckling, I left her hallway and began the trudge down the hall to get to the stairwell that led to the third floor, where Margaux Dupont and Meri White were, waiting in their room. I could've taken the elevator, but that would've meant an extremely awkward ride up to the next floor with about 20 other people, packed in like sardines. Not to mention, the chances that that elevator would decide to crash down to the first floor instead.

I grabbed a newspaper off of a nearby rack before hurrying into the stairwell. The stairs were lit dimly enough that I managed to read the front page headline (BOY CLAIMS TO HAVE BEEN IN "DEAD DIMENSION") by the time I emerged. I tossed the paper, ignoring the baloney on the front page, and headed over to Margaux and Meri's room, knocking rapidly on the door. Meri opened the door and sighed when she saw me.

"I was hoping you wouldn't agree to her insanity," she said softly before turning around, "Margaux! Your blondie's here!"

Margaux popped up beside her much shorter friend. She grimaced at Meri.

"He's not my anything. You of all people should know this."

Meri rolled her eyes and headed back into the room, hopping up to sit on a desk that was positioned so that she had a clear view of the door. Margaux glanced back at her before stepping to the side and motioning for me to come in. Once we were all inside, Maragux headed over to a bed and plopped down on it, tossing a stuffed polar bear with angel wings at Meri. Meri caught it and propped it up on her lap, glancing warily between us. I stood awkwardly in the center of the room. It didn't feel right to be standing in someone else's bedroom.

"So," Margaux said after a moment of tense silence, "what have you decided?"

"I've decided that I will do this. But we have to promise that we won't take this too far. It won't teach anyone a lesson if we're just as bad as they are."

Margaux nodded slowly, "that makes sense."

"Who all is in on this?" I wondered, glancing at Meri.

"Meri isn't," Margaux said, following my eyes, "and right now it's only... the two of us."

I blinked my eyes rapidly, pursing my lips.

"You mean you want to do this with only two people? That seems a bit... improbable."

"She has her eyes on someone else to join as well," Meri spoke up.

"Oh, three people," I grumbled, "so much better. I thought you weren't in on this?"

"I'm not involved with it," Meri said, "but she needs someone to talk at about her plans."

"I do not talk at you," Margaux grumbled.

"Yes, when you get excited, you do."

I sighed. This was not going to end well.