10

Harry sprinted up to the boys' dormitory to fetch the Invisibility Cloak and the Marauder's Map from his trunk; he wasso quick that he and Ron were ready to leave at least five minutes before Hermione and a very confused Y/n hurried back down from the girls' dormitories, Hermione was wearing a scarf, gloves, and one of her own knobbly elf hatsc Y/n was wearing a very old fashioned looking beige coat, mittens and a scarf was wrapped around her head and neck, keeping both her ears and neck warm.

When the boys looked strange at the two, Hermione said defensively: "Well, it's cold out there!"

They crept through the portrait hole and covered themselveshastily in the cloak - Ron had grown so much he now needed tocrouch to prevent his feet showing - then, moving slowly and cautiously, they proceeded down the many staircases, pausing at intervalsto check the map for signs of Filch or Mrs. Norris. Y/n, despite not seeming suprised by the cloak was rather tense when she had to walk in between Harry and Ron, Ron on her front, Harry on her back.

They were lucky;they saw nobody but Nearly Headless Nick, who was gliding alongabsentmindedly humming something that sounded horribly like"Weasley Is Our King." They crept across the entrance hall and thenout into the silent, snowy grounds. With a great leap of his heart,Harry saw little golden squares of light ahead and smoke coiling upfrom Hagrid's chimney. He set off at a quick march, the other two jostling and bumping along behind him, and they crunched excitedlythrough the thickening snow until at last they reached the woodenfront door; when Harry raised his fist and knocked three times, a dogstarted barking frantically inside.

"Hagrid, it's us!" Harry called through the keyhole.

"Shoulda known!" said a gruff voice.They beamed at one another under the cloak; they could tell thatHagrid's voice was pleased. "Bin home three seconds . . . Out the way,Fang . . . Out the way, yeh dozy dog . . ."The bolt was drawn back, the door creaked open, and Hagrid'shead appeared in the gap.

Hermione screamed.

"Merlin's beard, keep it down!" said Hagrid hastily, staring wildlyover their heads.

"Under that cloak, are yeh? Well, get in, get in!"

"I'm sorry!" Hermione gasped, as the three of them squeezed pastHagrid into the house and pulled the cloak off themselves so he couldsee them. "I just - oh, Hagrid !"

"It's nuthin', it's nuthin'!" said Hagrid hastily, shutting the doorbehind them and hurrying to close all the curtains, but Hermionecontinued to gaze up at him in horror.Hagrid's hair was matted with congealed blood, and his left eye hadbeen reduced to a puffy slit amid a mass of purple-and-black bruises.There were many cuts on his face and hands, some of them still bleeding, and he was moving gingerly, which made Harry suspect brokenribs. It was obvious that he had only just got home; a thick black traveling cloak lay over the back of a chair and a haversack large enoughto carry several small children leaned against the wall inside the door.Hagrid himself, twice the size of a normal man and three times asbroad, was now limping over to the fire and placing a copper kettleover it. "It's simply - Y/n?"

Only then did he notice her. Y/n's breath quickened as they made eye-contact an she looked away in shame. "Hello Hagrid."

"Oh, Y/n... it's been so long... yer... yer haven' changed one bit. You look exactly like I remembered yer the last time I saw yer," he said, tears springing in his eyes. Without ease he walked to her, slowly but surely and wrapped his arms around her. "How... how are yer here... like this?"

"That's for another time, Hags," she told him, looking anxiously behind her, making eye-contact with Hermione who had a strange glint in her eyes before her eyes widened. Y/n's breath quickened once more.