Chapter 27: Lies, lies and lies

It was, of course, much more complicated than that, but having an ulterior motive did wonders for Black believing that he'd cooperate with a wanted murderer. Draco couldn't help but think back to his father's explanation, two summers ago. (The trick is to have more than one ulterior motive.)

Black's explanation of what he wanted with the rat was something else, too. It warmed Draco's heart to imagine Weasley's expression when he heard that he'd been sleeping with a Death Eater. Why Pettigrew didn't slaughter them all in their beds, though, eluded him... obviously a coward, and thus not useful.

Draco squared his shoulders, and took a breath. He'd given Black fifteen minutes to move from the spot where Draco had seen him, if the man had any sense at all. Alright, let's make this good... after a moment's thought, he ripped his sleeve sharply, as if it had been torn during a struggle. Expression horrified and scared, eyes wide, out of breath as if he'd been running - the grass stained robes and mussed hair probably added something to the effect. He loosened his tie a little, he wouldn't have been thinking to straighten it if he were an innocent victim....

He pounded frantically on the door to Snape's office.

"Professor Snape! Sir, I've just seen Sirius Black by the forest!"

Dutifully report intruders to his Head of House: check.

Look like he survived a fight with a mass murderer: check.

"Where?" his professor asked, standing abruptly, eyes alight.

"Near the edge of the forest - I was out practicing my transformation, I ran all the way back. Sir, he's mad, he spent ages giving me a silly speech about how he was wronged and never served the Dark Lord and had to find a rat animagus called Peter Pettigrew-"

"How long ago was this?"

"I ran all the way here, sir," Draco promised, and swayed artistically.

To his delight, his Head of House looked as if he wanted to curse.

"Do you need the hospital wing?"

"No, sir! I'm fine, really I am. I got my wand back," he added, because that last part made the struggle sound nice and fierce and not as if he'd been manhandled by a cat.

"Come in and sit down," his professor said gently. "I'll get you a calming draught and you can tell me about it. Black will have bolted, but I'll send a message to the guards."

"Yes, sir," Draco said. The calming draught was very nice, though he only pretended to drink most of it. He didn't want to lose control of his tongue. This was delightfully delicate work. Professor Snape stepped out, and Draco was left alone to think through his story.

There was no reason to hide anything from Professor Snape, so Draco wouldn't. He could tell the whole story - leaving aside the timing, circumstances, most of what Draco himself had said, and Draco's plans for Black. The whole story, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

"Come, Draco," Professor Snape said from the doorway. "There's no reason for you to repeat yourself more than once, so we'll see Professor Dumbledore together."

"He's not going to take points, is he? I think I should earn some for being heroic, myself."

Professor Snape smiled at him.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up about that, myself. His favoritism towards his Lions is too strong to expect much, but we must do our duty to ensure Black is captured."

"I was thinking - professor, I can tell my father about this myself, can't I? He doesn't need to be called. I wasn't injured, just startled."

"How did you manage that feat?"

Draco smiled.

"I talked very quickly indeed, sir. I think you would have been proud."

"I'm pleased you are safe. Perhaps next time leave the wild adventuring to the Gryffindors? We won't miss a few of them if they manage to meet with accidents."

Draco laughed.

"I'm not eager to meet him again, sir. It's just that ever since I hurt my arm earlier this year, my father's been concerned for my welfare. I don't want to worry him."

"Understandably. It was a dreadful injury," Professor Snape said dryly.

"Truly awful," Draco admitted cheerfully.

"And the disruptive effect on Rubeus Hagrid's class was a completely unforeseen side effect."

"I don't want to speak ill of a teacher, sir," Draco said in his most earnest tone, the one that always got a smile - and true to form, there it was. He knew what he meant, and Professor Snape knew what he meant, but neither of them said it. It was wonderful.

Professor Snape really was the most wonderful teacher. Draco's steps slowed as they reached the headmaster's office.

"Mister Malfoy, the headmaster will not bite."

"He gave me quite the lecture on being a responsible animagus," Draco said quietly, eyeing the headmaster's door. "As if I was a common criminal who'd done it in order to - to steal pocket watches."

"Why did you attempt the spell? I'd thought your interest in Potions genuine."

"...I'm sorry, sir. I am interested in Potions. You'll think it juvenile, I'm sure-"

"Allowances can be made. Please, tell me."

"Potter dared me to, sir. In first year."

"That... is a very dangerous dare to make. You could have died, or been lost."

"You know I don't have a good thing to say about him, but it was ignorance, not malice, in that case. He doesn't know any better. Why they thought they should let muggles raise someone who was of good wizard's blood - he could have been great, sir."

"Indeed. Are you composed? I do not think that is a thought you should share with the headmaster."

"Yes, sir. I'm ready now."