Chapter 40: Lucius Malfoy's brilliant idea

The other schools arrived and Hagrid wore the most tremendous suit.

They ended up having lunch with Hagrid, though they didn't eat much - Hagrid had made what he said was a beef casserole, but after Hermione unearthed a large talon in hers, she, Harry, and Ron rather lost their appetites. However, they enjoyed themselves trying to make Hagrid tell them what the tasks in the tournament were going to be, speculating which of the entrants were likely to be selected as champions, and wondering whether Fred and George were beardless yet.

A light rain had started to fall by midafternoon; it was very cozy sitting by the fire, listening to the gentle patter of the drops on the window, watching Hagrid darning his socks and arguing with Hermione about house-elves - for he flatly refused to join S.P.E.W. when she showed him her badges.

"It'd be doin' 'em an unkindness, Hermione," he said gravely, threading a massive bone needle with thick yellow yarn. "It's in their nature ter look after humans, that's what they like, see? Yeh'd be makin' 'em unhappy ter take away their work, an' insutin' 'em if yeh tried ter pay 'em."

"That may be the case for some House Elves," Hermione said with tremendous dignity, "But my survey shows that even House Elves who consider themselves to have a 'good master' have unmet needs that wizards do not consider. House Elves at Hogwarts, for instance, feel that the school having a Caretaker is taking away valuable work from them, and that the school should consider admitting more students so that they have more to do. It may not be wages," she added with a sniff, "But it is certainly Elvish welfare. And not all House Elves object to the idea of wages, either, once I explained it to them."

Harry and Ron watched this speech with some bemusement, and Harry was rather worried he'd created a monster.

#

The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment.

Automatically, it seemed, Dumbledore reached out a long hand and seized the parchment. He held it out and stared at the name written upon it. There was a long pause, during which Dumbledore stared at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stared at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore cleared his throat and read out -

"Harry Potter."

#

The discussion about his nomination was awful, and Snape was dead silent throughout. Harry was attempting to think, and nothing was really coming of it. It only really got worse from there, his thoughts buzzing and disorganized, everyone by turns celebratory and suspicious.

"Listen," said Harry, "I didn't put my name in that goblet. Someone else must've done it."

Ron raised his eyebrows.

"What would they do that for?"

"I dunno," said Harry.

"I think I'll talk to Professor Snape about it," he added.

"That's right," said Ron, something ugly lurking in his tone. "You're best friends with Slytherins now, aren't you?"

Harry had been having such a good year.

#

"Well?" Professor Snape asked, without elaboration. At this point in their relationship, Harry understood the question.