pauses, then says, "you're my best friend"

"No," Alex groans. "Heartstopper? Again?"

"I can't help it," Izzie declares. She draws an old quilt around them and hands him a bowl overflowing with popcorn. "I'm obsessed."

He pushes the popcorn back at her and gets up from the couch. "I'll just go watch something on my phone."

"Alex! Come on. It's adorable gay teens making heart eyes at each other for four hours. It's better than ice cream!"

"Nope!" He retrieves his phone from his jacket pocket and flops down in a recliner, digging his Airpods out of his pocket. "I deal with kids and teenagers all day, every day. I don't need to do it when I'm watching TV." He puts his headphones in. "Don't let me fall asleep in the chair again, okay?"

His wife wags her finger at him and calls out in a singsong voice, "You're missing out!"

He dismisses her with a wave of the hand.

Episode 2.

"What's that kid's deal?"

Izzie answers without taking her eyes off the screen. "Which kid?"

"Skinny kid with the dumb hat."

"Okay, that's Tao. He's, like, token straight guy, talks too much and doesn't always think before he speaks. Big heart, though." She spares Alex a glance, one corner of her mouth quirking up. "I've got a guy like that, actually."

"Funny," he retorts.

"Anyway I thought you didn't want to watch with me?"

"I don't! I don't."

"Okay."

Episode 3.

"Is he seriously going to that party?"

"It's hard to say no when your crush asks you to do something!"

"Self-preservation, Charlie! Ever heard of it?" He leans over from where he's standing behind the couch and snags some of Izzie's popcorn.

"Hey, get your own snacks."

"Yours are better."

"Obviously."

Episode 4.

They both cheer when Charlie crowds under the umbrella with Nick.

"Finally," Alex sighs, collapsing against Izzie.

"Oh my heart was in my throat." She takes Alex's fingers and applies them to her wrist. "Feel my pulse! I'll never get to sleep now."

"Sooo, one more, then?" Alex reaches across her and grabs the remote.

"Definitely."

Episode 7.

Alex snorts and shakes his head so forcefully it wakes up a dozing Izzie.

"Alex," she mumbles. "Wh-" She blinks at the screen. "Is this the last episode?"

"Second to last," he replies. Then, "Elle's too good for Tao." He folds his arms hard over his heart. "He doesn't even see her!"

"Mmm." Izzie stretches and snuggles into Alex's side. "I'm so sleepy. Turn it off and let's go to bed."

"Nah... I'll be in there in a sec."

Epilogue.

Izzie wakes up to the rough-soft of Alex's palm smoothing her hair back from her face.

"Hi," she murmurs.

"Hi." He leans in and kisses her.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah... I had fun tonight."

"Me, too. I like just vegging around with you."

"I just need you to know," he whispers, "that my life is way better because I met you."

She peeps open her eye a little wider. "Did you steal that from Heartstopper?" she asks with a tiny, sleepy grin.

"No spoilers, Iz."