Chapter Three

Lorelei was deep in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein at the campus cafe, curled up on a couch near the windows that overlooked the heart of her school by the time the tiny freshman was out the coffee shop's doors after their tutoring session.

She held all her tutoring sessions at The House Coffee or as many of her classmates like to call it: THC. It had cute little rooms filled with comfy furniture and unique tables and chairs for a more private session for the kids who had issues focusing, high-speed wifi, and coffee that literally made her drool at the smell of it.

Her favorite part of THC was the soft leather couch that sat in front of the curved window with a view of the heart of the school, which was literally a heart. It was supposed to be art and on the campus tour, they say the wavy-looking fountain is just supposed to be asymmetrical and cool, but from a birds-eye view, the pool is the shape of a heart drawn by a kindergartener. The fountain part has three spigots that spray water up at the sky and if it's windy it becomes a misting machine.

The fountain is surrounded by brick walkways interwoven with perfectly groomed bushes and patches of grass where you'll find students having picnics and playing frisbee. It was a very common and loved communal space that Lorelei now found herself avoiding. She preferred to just look at it from the coffee shop.

Like most things recently, she'd lost interest.

Lorelei found herself in this... slump. It was one that evolved with time, one she hadn't noticed was happening. There were days when she'd break down and normal tasks like brushing her hair became too taxing or the idea of meeting her friends at the heart of the school felt too overwhelming. It wasn't often though, maybe a few days a month, so she worked on making sure she was eating healthy and working out. Forcing herself to get out of the house was one of those things that the internet said would help so that's what she did.

She went to dumb parties and sat at coffee shops alone to read.

And so far it wasn't helping, but she was trying so that's what mattered.

At least that's what she told herself.

Charlie collapses into the chair across from her with a heavy sigh.

She nearly jumps out of her skin. "Oh my god–"

"I have to ask you something."

She lowers Frankenstein to her lap. "Excuse me?" He nearly gave her a heart attack.

"I have a question," he rephrases.

Lorelei pulls the hair back from her face, her heart still racing a million miles a minute. "I mean, do I have a choice?"

"I mean, I guess so," he leans forward and grins at her. "Except you're too curious for that and not knowing will kill you."

"I'm actually pretty good. I don't think I need to know."

Charlie exhales dramatically again, his shoulders sagging with the action. "Loreleiiii," he drawls, pouting his lip out at her.

"If I feign interest and you ask your question will you leave me alone?" She asks.

He perks up. "Yes, of course."

"Fine, then," she flicks her hand at him. "Ask away."

"Why did you call me a womanizer?"

For a moment all Lorelei could do was stare at him. He was one of the most-recognized guys at school, beloved by everyone, on his way to the NHL, acing all his classes, and he's asking her why she thinks he gets lots of women. Was this really his one question?