4) New Year

(Singapore   01/01/2023  10AM) 

BZZZZZ, BZZZZZ, BZZZZZZ!

Brett fumbles for his phone. It's somewhere on the nightstand, but where? He blindly feels around.
The fucking thing keeps on buzzing, while Brett desperately tries to get a hold of it.
His head is still full of clouds. He has a headache too. Not surprisingly due to the amount of alcohol consumed the night before. Or early morning, if you need to be precise. But who looks at the clock after the countdown to New Year anyway?

"Pick up the damn phone!" Eddy mumbles besides him.

"I'm trying! I'm trying!" Brett grumps.

Finally he gets a hold onto the damn thing. He looks at the caller ID. "Huh? It's editor-san." Brett quickly slides the bar up and answers with a sleepy "Hi?"

Editor-sans's voice is way too bright and clear this early in the morning. "Hey Brett. Sorry if I have woken you up just now, but you might want to check Insta. Know that I'm there for you both, okay? Call me when you have taken everything in and know what you two want to do next. Speak to you later. Bye."
The phone line is dead, but Brett keeps looking at it in astonishment. That was cryptic. "What the hell?!" He tries to open Instagram, but the battery is almost dead, and before it opens, it dies. He swears softly, puts it in the charger and sits up. "Need to check something Love. Be right back." he tells the sleeping lump on his side.

Eddy mumbles something inaudible before turning and pulling the blankets higher over his head. It's way too early to be awake at new year's morning.

Brett walks to his laptop and opens it so it can start up, his eyes still half closed caused by sleep deprivation. When did they go to sleep last night? It was very early in the morning, right? His face suddenly itches and when he rubs it, a piece of glitter comes off. Oh yeah, Julia had stuck it on. It had been such a very nice night. Finally after 3 years of not being able to celebrate due to illness and covid restrictions, they really had gone out of their way to celebrate. Eddy had enjoyed it too, what is especially nice, him being the introvert he is. He really liked Julia and relaxed quite easily. He has come such a long way from when they started TwoSet. Now he can find his way quite easily among strangers, something that was unthinkable 8 years ago. He has grown so much.
Finally the screen shows colours and he can go to internet. He opens their TwoSet account on Instagram and sees more than a hundred messages. His eyes pop open. What? Why? Every second more and more fill his inbox.
He opens their feed and almost chokes. His heart rate goes through the roof.

"Oh! Nonononononono!"

There is a picture on the screen where he and Eddy unmistakably are kissing each other. Well, more like ravishing each other, to be precise. He eyes it with horror. So far for being discrete. Oh God, Eddy is going to kill him! Because it was he that had initiated it, right? The clock had stuck 12, and he just wanted to make out with Eddy so bad. His man looking so handsome and sparkly with all the glitters on his face and in his ears, his shining eyes and fireworks in the air had been just way to much too ignore. So he had dragged him to a safe place, or presumably safe in hind sight, and just did it. Eddy had even warned him of the risks shortly when he was being dragged off, but like always he gave in the moment they had touched lips and of course they lost track of their surroundings quickly when Brett really started kissing him.

He exclaims a heartfelt "Fuck!"

Eddy appears in the door opening, his bed hair sticking out everywhere. He still looks sleepy and blinks against the light. "What is it?" he asks after hearing the swear.

"Uhm... We've been made." Brett colours severely. "Sorry Eddy."

Eddy's very awake suddenly. "What?! You're fucking with me, right?!"