Chapter Twelve

Dante pulled into his driveway and then exited the car to help Robyn out. Still holding hands, they walked the short distance to Robyn's car. He opened the door for her to climb in then stood in the open doorway while she settled into her seat. She leaned her head back against the headrest and they looked at each other for a long moment. She reached out to grab his tie and used it to gently tug him towards her. He went willingly and their lips met in a sweet lingering goodnight kiss. They separated before the kiss got intense again.

"You should probably go before I find a reason to convince you to come inside tonight," Dante said huskily when they broke apart.

Robyn gave a small nod of agreement. "I know, you're right." She gave him another chaste kiss before he stepped back and closed her door. She waited until he opened his front door and looked back at her before she pulled off and drove home.

---

Robyn woke up later than normal the next morning with a smile on her face. Last night had been even better than she thought it would be. She bit her lower lip and stretched. She'd had some very vivid dreams about the kisses she and Marcus had shared last night. Most of the extra activities in her dream hadn't actually happened, but she'd be happy to consider it delightful foreshadowing. It had taken every ounce of her willpower not to join Marcus in his house last night. She was doing her best to take things slowly. The more time spent with him away from work, the more she wanted a future with him. She needed to find a way to deal with the joining of her worlds. Her being okay with that joining and unwilling to let him into her life completely was holding her back. He wasn't just a fling and she didn't want to unintentionally hurt him while she was working through things. She looked up when Delilah walked into her room.

"Morning Mom," she said, climbing onto the bed next to her. "Are you mad at me?"

Robyn looked up at her daughter and sighed. "I'm a lot of things Dee. I'm mad, disappointed, frustrated, and hurt. I'm still processing everything," she replied.

"We weren't trying to hurt you," Delilaln said quickly. " And don't be mad at Mel. I talked her into it."

"Mel is the adult in this situation," Robyn said sitting up. "She doesn't get to be excused for giving in to my child's wishes and then going behind my back and lying about it."

"After everything that's happened recently, I just want to know how to protect myself," Delilah tried to explain, leaning back against the headboard. "You just kept telling me no. What if something happens and you're not around?"

Robyn sighed again and moved to stand up, "I get that Dee, but you had other options besides lying and sneaking around behind my back for weeks. It hurts that you weren't willing to try harder to help me understand your side." She paced a few steps before she turned to face her, "I don't want you to go through what I did at your age. I know I can be stubborn, but I also know you got those same traits from both me and your father. I thought we trusted each other enough to talk things through. You push back and argue about everything else."

“I know our conversation about how you want to protect me from the things you experienced. I get wanting to keep me safe and outside of your world, but I’m already a part of your world. You're always so busy and rushing off to help someone," Delilah said. "I get why. I’m not blaming you for that. I know what you do is important. I figured I could handle this myself. I talked to Mel because she knows what's going on."

Robyn stopped pacing to look at her.

Delilah continued, “It’s one thing to know your job is dangerous, it’s another to experience it. The separation really ended when you were kidnapped in front of me and Aunt Vi and we couldn’t do anything. Between Jason, my PTSD, and having you taken, I just can’t be helpless anymore. I don’t want to live terrified. I acted instinctively at school, but I just need more training. I was trying to help Noah.”