one | persuasion

-ONE-

Madison woke up to the sound of her parents arguing. It was always like that, to be honest. They woke up, fought, went to work, came back, fought again, made love the rest of the night, and then fought the next morning. A continuous cycle which annoyed both Madison and her older brother, Leo.

She trudged to his room after getting ready and knocked on the door, earning a loud 'Fuck off' from his end. She rolled her eyes and said, "Open the door, douchebag, I left my bomber jacket in here yesterday."

Her brother opened the door, rubbing sleep out of his grey eyes. She rolled her eyes and shoved past him, grabbing her black bomber jacket off his desk chair. He sat on his bed, ready to go back to sleep, but she turned to him, "I'm going to school with Katie, but I need you to pick me up," picking up a t-shirt from the floor, she chucked it at his face. "And put some goddamn clothes on, stupid."

"Get out, asshole," he rolled his eyes, throwing the shirt back at her. A small smirk spread over his features as he said, "Don't let anyone fuck with you."

"See you after school, dumbass." She replied, batting the garment away. A similiar smirk tugged at her lips as she winked, "And I won't."

She heard another exclamation from downstairs and hastily packed her bag, noticing the time. Pulling her blonde hair back in a ponytail, she pulled her bag on her shoulder and ran out of the house before her parents could say anything to her in the heat of their argument.

She knocked on the Torres' door after having sprinted down the block at top speed. Her best friend, Katie, opened the door with a smile.

"Maddy!" The shorter girl grinned.

"Katie!" Smiled the taller girl, pulling her best friend in for a hug.

Entering the house, Madison sat at the kitchen table, scrolling through her phone. Nando leaned over to her, fixed his hair and said, "So...Madison...you look great toda--"

"Nando, I love you buddy, but it's never gonna happen." She ruffled his hair. "You're a brother to me."

"Uh-oh! Nando got bro-zoned!" Ellie said, teasing her brother in her high-pitched little girl's voice.

"Nando, stop flirting with my best friend!" Katie exclaimed, entering the room. In the background, Allison stood with her phone in hand, talking to someone.

"Tagalongs? Who likes Tagalongs?" Seeing Maddy wave and point at herself, she sighed, "Okay, put me down. Ten boxes," Allison moved the phone from her ear and said, "Cheryl Nelson is shaking me down."

Gasping dramatically, Maddy said, "No, that bitch!"

"Maddy, language." Katie smacked her best friend upside the head.

Madison winced and rubbed the back of her head, as Katie asked, "Mom? Fleekfest? Dad said he's okay with me going if you are."

"Oh, he did?" Allison asked, catching the phone between her ear and shoulder.

Nando piped in, "Wait, you're going to a freak fest? Awesome. You can finally be with your people." Madison glared at him, earning an apologetic look as he added, "Hey, it's the truth."

"It's called Fleekfest," Katie corrected. "It's a music festival. It's cool."

"I guess if you think it's cool, I'm sure it's super cool." Admitted the boy.

"Bro, try a little more baking soda," Madison suggested with his catalyst. "It'll add more acidity to it and the reaction will be more...boom."

"Did you hear what I asked?" Katie pegged her mother.