Chapter 2: The New Recruits

Three people, two men and a woman had all gathered at the request of Dr. X-Ray and stood in his study. The last of the three, one of the men had just arrived. Among them were Greg Mathews, Mitch Daniels and Neera Dinovich.

Greg was an electrician who had an overwhelming hate for the citizens of Sarasota. He had an awkward personality and wasn't well liked at the company he worked for and was treated lower than dirt by his boss. He was short and wore thick-rimmed glasses as he was severely near sighted but was well dressed, wearing formal trousers and a light blue tartan shirt. When he wasn't busy dealing with a hostile boss and co workers, he was normally dealing with rude customers, some of which (along with their kids) mocked him for his height and appearance. He had heard about Dr. X-Ray's experiments with dinosauric transmogrification and that he was once again looking for volunteers to be his test subjects.  He decided immediately that he would offer himself up, loving the idea of wreaking revenge on his company, even if it went against the wishes of this strange scientist. 

Mitch had no education or practical skills. He was kicked out of school in his seventh year for setting his head teacher's car ablaze. He had spent most of his life squatting in abandoned buildings, living on money he gained from burglaries and muggings, that is when he wasn't serving a prison sentence for arson. Something he'd committed a lot of ever since he discovered his love for pyromania at a young age. He was tall and wore torn jeans and a black leather jacket that had the arms torn of it. He had a bright orange soul patch on his chin that matched in colour the long straight hair on his head. Completing his look of a street thug were a number of tattoos on his bare arms and piercings in his ears, nose and eyebrows. Just being in the room with this man made Greg nervous to the point where he wouldn't even make eye contact with him. 

Neera was a tall, muscular woman who wore red trousers with a yellow tank top, long brown hair on her head and black high heeled boots on her feet. Since leaving school, she spent just over a decade working for the Russian military and a further six years working as a mercenary. For the last few years however she had taken to illegal underground fights to earn a living. This ruthless woman was no stranger to taking lives when it was needed. Sometimes she even killed her opponents in the ring just because she felt like it.

"Excellent, now that we're all here I'll show you all to my laboratory." Dr. X-Ray said. There, he explained the machines and what they would do, just as he did Crash, Jimbo and Gill. "Now, before you step into the glass chambers, are there any questions or concerns?" The scientist asked. 
"Yeah, I gots a question for yas." Mitch answered. "Yous said these dinosaur transformations could be reversed at any time, yeah?" He asked.
"That is correct, Mr. Daniels. You Needn't worry yourself." 
"Oh I ain't worried none, doc. I was gonna ask if I could just stay as a dino. I'd love to permanently be in the body of a giant moiderous lizard! It'd make dealin' with cops a lot easier." 
"I second that," Greg said. "I have a score to settle with my old electric company."
"Interesting idea. This could also make my underground fights even easier. I could crush those weak males in mere seconds." Neera said calmly. The good doctor chuckled.
"I have to say, you all have a better attitude than my previous volunteers. They were too scared of being stuck this way forever and shy of doing me just a few favours in return. Disappointing really. I must say, it's refreshing to meet such open minded individuals. I have a feeling we'll get along famously." he explained and Mitch nodded. 
"Well sures, doc I gots not problem doing a few jobs for yas. I'd do anything for this kinda gift."
"Me too!" Greg said.
"And I third." Neera added.  
"Oh that is tremendously good news!" The doctor said, clapping his hands together. "Now if you'll all kindly step into the chambers, we can begin."

Dr. X-Ray pressed a button on the control console and the doors on the glass chambers opened. Mitch, Greg and Neera climbed in without a second of hesitation and they all signalled the doctor with a thumbs up. The scientist activated the machine and that same bright green light filled the room as Dr. X-Ray prayed silently. "Oh please lord...let these be the ones!" Once the process was finished, the doors opened again and the three stepped out, large feet thumping onto the cold panel floor of the lab. Dr. X-Ray grinned and stared in satisfaction at his latest recruits. 

Meanwhile, the Dinomorphs were eating breakfast while Lucy observed Gill's bruises and how pained he looked whenever he moved. 
"I think this is a good time to discuss how you got all those bruises, Gill. You were as clean as a whistle when you went to bed last night." She said and Gill groaned, his head still pounding from the beating Neera gave him.
"Can we PLEASE do this later, Lucy? I feel like I've been hit by a truck."
"And you bloody look like it," Crash added. "What the heck happened?" 
"We'll worry about that later." Lucy said. "As soon as you've finished your breakfast, get yourself back into bed for a few hours. If anything comes up, I'm sure we'll manage without you." 
"What...what are you tryin' to say?" Gill asked.
"She's trying to say you're useless, Gill." Jimbo said with a grin. 
"Jimbo, be nice to your big brother!" Claire chided while lightly hitting him with a rolled up newspaper.
"He knows I'm only joking," He replied. "I think a few hours of rest is the best thing for him right now. Besides nothing might happen today."
"Something's always happening, Jimbo." Lucy replied. "It's just a shame we're not always there to stop it."
"Yeah, it sure would be nice if there were more Dyno-morphs in the world." Crash added.
"I wouldn't be too sure of that, Crash." Lucy replied. "You never know what kind of Dyno-morph you'll get when one is made."
"Agreed," Jimbo added. "If a bad human steps into the machine, it'll be a bad Dyno-morph that steps out." 
"You mean like Gill?" Crash chuckled, resulting in a blow to the head from Claire's newspaper.
"Crash, be nice to your big brother! Gill's not bad, he's just a bit...misbehaved."
"Indeed," Lucy agreed, glaring at Gill. "And if he doesn't start behaving and following rules, I'll be putting a padlock on his water tank at night."
"But how would he get up to go to the bathroom?" Crash inquired.
"That's his problem!" Lucy answered, still glaring at Gill. "Now finish your breakfast and get straight back to bed." Gill had just finished his cereal and was noisily slurping the milk from his bowl as the leader issued her command. Gill put the bowl back down on the table and let out an almost ear-splitting belch. 
"But I ain't tired." He replied and Lucy growled in irritation while Claire gently put her hands on his bruised arms. 
"No, but you're injured and in pain, Gill. Please do as Lucy asks." 
"But Claaaaaire..." Gill whined and Claire smacked his already painful head with the newspaper before pointing to the basement with it. 
"No buts, mister! Now get down those stairs and into bed, or you won't be watching any cartoons later!" Gill grunted in frustration and stood from the table, stomping grumpily down the stairs. "And no slamming that door!" She barked and paused to listen, giving a single satisfactory nod when she head the door gently close behind him. Lucy Sighed, massaging her temples with her fingers. 
"I wish he'd listen to me like that."
"I have experience with stubborn children. Used to babysit my younger sister all the time. You just have to be sharp and firm with them. You'll get the hang of it, hun." Claire reassured.