Chapter 1

"Oh, come on! Pleaseeeeee?"  Biana whined.

Sophie sighed. She was relentless. 

Sophie had asked one of her best friends, Biana, to come with her to Atlantis to buy gifts for midterms celebration. 

Of course, midterms weren't for more than two weeks, but she wanted all the time she could get to pick the right gift for all of her friends. 

Yet even though Sophie had protested, the pretty brunette had dragged her into several stores buying everything she could find. They had been there for over 4 hours, and yet Sophie STILL had no gifts.

4 HOURS!! 

"Sophie...," Biana bit her lip, and she knew something was up, "I know you don't really like dresses..., but still, it would make your eyes really stand out!" 

Biana always made any excuse she could to give someone a makeover, yet it always ended up being her. Unless she was tormenting her brother or his best friend. 

"Noooooo!!! You know I don't like standing out any more than I need to!" She whined, "besides, my eyes don't need any more attention.  And I don't need any more clothes, Jolie gave me a whole bunch of hers when she moved in with Brant a couple weeks ago."

Biana gave her a knowing look and Sophie relented, as she knew the teal-eyed girl would not stop pestering her unless she did what she wanted. 

Sighing, Sophie walked into the changing room with the dress in hand. 

She put the dress on, turned to the mirror, and gasped. Biana was right. Well, she always was when it came to fashion, but still. The dress was a light blue almost white looking color, infused with lumenite to add flare to the gorgeous dress. 

When Biana said that it would make her eyes stand out, oh gosh, did they.

 Her eyes were a mixture of her mothers and her fathers eyes. They weren't teal like the Vackers, but the closest part to her irises were aquamarine like her mom and light blue around the edges like her dad, making her eyes very exotic. 

Her eyes shown with great intensity corresponding with the dress, in perfect unison making her eyes look like a twighlight sky. 

Her mom had done her hair in an intricate updo, half up braided, half down in soft curls. She looked amazing.

                             (Pretend this is what she looked like)

She walked out of the stall to find Biana talking with someone over her Imparter, well more arguing with someone. She looked up to find Sophie standing there in the dress and she gasped, then let out a high-pitched shriek. 

"OH MY GOODNESS!!! PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE GETTING THAT!!!!!" She exclaimed.

"Getting what?" A familiar crisp accent asked.

 Fitz, Sophie realized.

Biana turned the Imparter so that the teal-eyed boy could see her in the dress....

"Oh!...," he exclaimed.

Sophie blushed.

"Ummm... Sophie, you look...," he cleared his throat rather awkwardly, "great..."

Biana looked disgusted "Big brother are you kidding me?! She looks better than 'great'," she made a face, "she looks FANTASTIC!!"

Sophie was sure her face was extremely red, surprised even, that her face wasn't catching on fire.

"Oh... um thank you, I guess?" She muttered, clearly embarrassed.

She locked eyes with Biana and looked away. The girl hung up with her brother quickly.

She twirled in the dress, and Biana smiled. They locked eyes again and she said, "yeah, I actually might get this dress, ...uhm for my first gala, maybe?" 

She looked away again, blushing as Biana stared intensely at her. 

"I think that's an amazing idea!" She smiled brightly, "have you registered yet?" 

Sophie walked back into the fitting room to change. 

"NO! Uhm, no. Not yet." She changed into a long white tunic black legging, and low wedge boots, complete with her cape and Ruewen crest. "I'm waiting until I'm ready... it's just harder because there's a bunch of flaws in the system, you know? And for me, it's like saying what happened to my aunt and uncle was okay. Dex would've had a whole lot less problems if his mom and dad weren't seen as a bad match."

She picked up her dress and walked out.

"And Jolie too, if we didn't see talents better than anything else, besides knowledge, than she and Brant wouldn't be considered a bad match. It kills her more than she cares to admit, and I see it. Even when she thinks she hides it."

When she got to the counter and paid for the dress, and left the store, Biana followed. They walked into a jewelry store, and she continued.

"I don't want to support something that could hurt my family. Dex said the said thing. And, besides, Juline is my aunt. When the triplets were born, there was so much scorn put upon our family it was so hard to even go anywhere. It still happens. And since Brant said he's going to propose, it's going to happen again."

As she and Biana browse through the jewelry she starts speaking again. 

"And as much as my mom and dad will have me believe; it kills them that their daughters are afraid to get into relationships because other people. But it's not just that either, the match is messed up, it's like saying 'hey! These are the people you are allowed to date, just make sure you don't like anyone outside of who we choose for you, or we'll make you hate your life. And it's the same deal for a match fail! Anyway, have fun!' like that is so stupid!"

She looked up to find Biana staring blankly at her.

"What? B? What's wrong?"

Biana sighed.

"I never noticed how much you've been through, and I thought Fitz, Alvar, and I had it bad..." She paused and looked away, "we didn't have it bad at all... just an overprotective dad and a huge legend to live up to..."

Sophie sighed; she hadn't meant to hurt her friends' feelings.

"Hey... how bout we do this a different day, yeah? Besides, we still have coupl weeks before Midterms, and I really don't think I can carry all of this stuff!"

Biana giggled, the negative mood seeming to float away.

"Okay! C'mon, I'll help you!"

Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading my first of this story! I can't tell you how much this means to me, really! I will update as soon as I can, but writing takes time, and I'm sorry if I take too long! See you soon!

Thanks! Via <3