Geo Crystalflies

"Xiao, what are you doing?"

Xiao hears the question. Loud and clear. He doesn't respond, not because he wasn't listening, but because he was thinking about something- or rather, someone- much more important to him.

The voice, firmer this time, repeats itself. "Xiao!" He looks back. "Ah. Zhongli. How pleasant. Do you wish anything of me?"

The older man stepped up to him. "I only wish to check on your well-being. You seemed startled when Venti rushed in like that."

Xiao shook his head. "No, I was fine. I was a bit overwhelmed with his presence, and to be honest, a bit jealous of him.

He's the anemo archon, the ruler of my element, the base of my powers, and yet he blends in with the humans so well. I could- I could never."

Zhongli sighed. "That doesn't quite matter. What was it Lumine said? You do you?" Xiao nodded.

"I suppose. We met earlier, and he was playing. Earlier this week. His playing was... beautiful. I took my mask off and I danced. I danced for hours before he left. I loved it. I loved the feeling that the music engraved into my pained muscles, I loved the way everything sounded around my footsteps, and I loved how the wind against the grass felt like a backup melody."

Zhongli looked at him and sighed. "Ah, Venti played a music piece for you?" Xiao nodded shyly.

Zhongli touched the Yaksha's chin slightly to raise his head up. "I heard of what the zombie child told me. Was this before the mentioned event?" Xiao looked down again in shame.

"Ah, so you heard about that. I am forever grateful to Qiqi and Master Baizhu, but I could've handled the situation... never mind. That was shortly before I heard his music underneath the moonlight."

Xiao stopped and looked over the balcony. Zhongli gave him a concerned look. "I am worried about you." Xiao shook his head.

"Don't be. I'm fine on my own." The dragon nodded. "I know, haizi. I know."

Xiao smiled at the nickname, a rare sight. "Anything else on your mind, Xiao?" The yaksha sighed. "Have you ever... never mind."

Zhongli raised an eyebrow. "Have I ever what? Explain." Xiao looked into the moon's face. "It's hard to explain."

Zhongli put a hand on Xiao's shoulder. "Then try." Xiao closed his eyes. "Have you ever wanted to be with someone so badly your heart pains when you're apart?

Have you ever wanted to stay with the person, every day and all day?

Have you ever wanted to just hold their hands and stay like that until your lungs give out?

Zhongli, my heart beats faster and  I'm exhilarated, like it's taking a toll on my being, but I never get tired.

It's like when I'm dancing and he's playing, I could keep my mask on and dance forever."

Zhongli raised an eyebrow. "He? Who is this mysterious man?" Xiao blushed, like he said the wrong thing.

"He's kind, and he cares about me.

He's brave, but yet he doesn't need to fight to protect his loved ones.

He's talented and beautiful,

and I get so nervous around him, but not like I'm scared of him, it's like there's little bugs fluttering in my stomach.

When he pulls me closer to himself, my skin flushes red like I've been in the sun for way too long.

But it doesn't burn like that does. It feels nice.

His hair smells like Cecilias and feels like the grass at Windrise.