10.

Marlowe had been to see Jack three times now and was planning to go back again one more time just before the full moon. He'd promised Jack he would be there before and could answer any questions he might have.

It still broke Marlowe's heart that this was an eight year old kid condemned to the same life Marlowe had gotten stuck with, but he had to admit, talking about this stuff was doing him a lot of good. He hadn't realized how much he'd needed to say out loud what happened to him every month, and not to someone who would just feel sorry for him.

Caiti was good about showing sympathy without pity. She was always in reaction mode, trying to figure out what she could do to help. But she still would never be able to really understand.

Jack didn't seem afraid of what was coming. He seemed more curious than anything. Marlowe knew he would probably develop some of the dread Marlowe carried around all month after he'd actually experienced a full moon, but he was still in awe of how brave he was.

He'd just gotten back from the hospital and he found Elliot sitting on the couch with one of his textbooks out. Their mum had been on him lately about getting a move on his summer assignments and Elliot had only begrudgingly taken her up on the idea.

"What'cha working on?" asked Marlowe, heading into the kitchen to grab a snack.

Elliot didn't respond.

Marlowe came back into the living room with a handful of almonds and sat down. "Homework?" he prompted.

Elliot lifted his eyes. He looked angry. Marlowe felt bad for interrupting him. Maybe he'd been deep in thought.

But then he asked, "Are you going to Caiti's house?" which really took Marlowe off guard.

"I don't know," Marlowe said. "She was maybe going to come over here. Why?"

Elliot just rolled his eyes. "You're always with her," he said. "Or that kid."

Marlowe didn't know what to say, and Elliot didn't elaborate.

"I'm just trying to help him out," said Marlowe. "I didn't really have anyone to talk to when it happened to me. Not anyone that got it, anyway."

"Yeah, I'm aware," said Elliot. He sounded pissed though and Marlowe didn't know why.

"What's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem."

"Yeah, you do. You're acting all pissy."

Elliot snapped his textbook shut and headed down the hall towards his bedroom.

Marlowe let out a heavy sigh. "Don't act like a stupid teenager, Elliot," he said, following him down the hall. "It's not a good look."

"Oh, 'cause you were so perfect."

"I never said that. I was a little shit."

"Yeah, well not much has changed."

They glared at each other for a second, but then Elliot stepped into his bedroom and slammed the door in Marlowe's face.

"Just tell me why you're mad at me," Marlowe snapped. "You didn't pick a fight over nothing."

"Maybe if you actually ever talked to me, you would know," Elliot called through the door. But after that, he was silent and nothing Marlowe said would make him open the door back up. Marlowe knew better than to unlock it by magic. They had both agreed that their dad getting his wand out to unlock their doors when they hadn't wanted to talk to anyone was the greatest violation of privacy.

He went back into the living room after a minute with a pesky guilty feeling settling into his stomach as Elliot's word started to sink in.

—-