FIVE ♜ 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍

A simple round of casual conversation with the participants had me realizing that what Zeno had told me was true... During these last few months, I had simply become so good that the game was now too easy. For most of these couples, I didn't even need to try to use my nen ability, which I had been raring to see in a practical setting... A simple whisper about how unlikely the pairing of Hyperion and Priscilla was with the current situation. A worried acknowledgement of the massacres that have been haunting us, and they were backing me up, feeling united as a group against the common enemy. 

I had expected them to resist, but the situation was just... too easy. I didn't need nen to persuade and manipulate these people to do what I wished them to. Hell... They only needed to be reminded of the situation and a guiding hand to lead them to the conclusions I wanted. They were too easy, too vulnerable with all the deaths going around. 

Apparently, my long break from the social scene had made my standing with them rise. The scarcity of my appearances had worked out immensely well. It was just... so easy... Charles was the only one who seemed unbothered by the general murmur that I had started as I moved around the ballroom. 

Hyperion's green gaze landed on me for the first time of the evening, I nodded to him politely, a small smile on my lips as I took the flute that held a very decent champagne to meet them. He returned my smile, and right on time, as if this entire ball was orchestrated by me, the Sheringtons called me over.

Too easy. Really.

Helena's smile was wide, and if I wasn't the biggest threat to her daughter's current position, it would've felt honest. "Mrs. Vedridian." 

"Helena. It has been far too long since we've last spoken." I took in her medieval queen outfit, a match to that of her husband, Mr. Sherington. "Lovely outfit."

"Thank you, it seems you had the same idea as my Priscilla." Hmm... Sometimes life just aligned too perfectly. How was it that Priscilla and Hyperion were dressed as red riding hood and big bad wolf? It was almost like the heavens were asking me to ruin their power couple move. 

A few people had told me that what the society needed was a strong couple, to split their attention between everyone. A small hint that my widow status was a bother to them, specially since my husband had been the real Vedridian. I heard it loud and clear, the insinuation that I would be missing information since the women and the men often had gatherings in different places at the same time. No matter, I had been playing the game alone for far longer than they could imagine and that was never a problem... not that I would tell them... No... I simply nodded along, casting a mournful look away from them and telling them that... while it was hard at first, someone had been there for me during the last month. 

Who was this someone? That was what I had to figure out... Did I want to play Hyperion? I hated playing the victim, and too much hopelessness didn't help my case. He couldn't be it... But then... who was it? Who was appropriate for this situation? Someone with standing... I didn't have to reveal them just yet... Maybe I could go for someone from another continent, a prince from Kakin could do the trick. Sadly, the easiest on the eyes, Tserriednich, was a massive red flag, a total creep and from what I heard... Murder enjoyer... The first prince, perhaps... He was aggressive but sociable enough for my plan. If only he didn't look like a hungry lion half the time...

Royalty was perhaps stretching it too far... And Kakin was a bomb ready to explode... I should consider the whole matter before standing with any of them... Politics were very important.

My thoughts had strayed from Helena's conversation, she wasn't saying much. Simply pointing out how the Christmas ball had been a disaster, but they had made a swift recovery. A soft way to say that the Council catastrophe had happened just in time to hide their small mess. I finished my flute of champagne and dropped it on a passing aid's tray.