SIX ♖ 𝒓𝒖𝒊𝒏

The needle trembled in his grip and his eyes narrowed, moving from his grandfather to me. "So we meet again, Illumi." I nodded at him. His undivided attention on my person made my skin crawl, I decided to lighten it up. "It seems to me that you never manage to complete your assassinations in this Manor." 

He stared at me for a second, before turning to Zeno once more. "Grandfather, she is the target." Apparently, my future husband didn't appreciate light banter. Good to know. Might as well learn that sooner rather than later, really. Panic started to settle in as I realized I didn't have a very thorough plan... I had too little information...

"No. The process has already started. She'll be family." Zeno's voice was oddly cheery, considering his grandson was still holding onto his needle and intending to kill me. It surely is easier when it's not your life on the line. 

Illumi's head tilted, and his silky hair followed the movement. His voice was still eerily melodic and with no particular sentiment when he said, "Since when?" Good lord, was that his only possible tone? Creepy.

"Hm... when you accepted the job." The old man nodded, his hand waving away dismissively, "Since then."

My lips stretched into a smirk, so he knew all along. "You're a cocky old man."

He crackled, produced a single wheeze and decided to take a gulp from his cup of tea before clearing his throat to reply. "Please, Y/N. You already had it decided, you just wanted a show of my influence."

A small giggle escaped my lips, and I too reached for my teacup for a very graceful sip. "You're going to be so much fun." I said, eyeing him over the rim, and hiding my maniacal smile with the cup. 

"Ah-ah- Save it for your husband." Zeno pointed towards Illumi. His face gave nothing away, he didn't seem confused with my amicable relationship with his grandfather, he didn't seem annoyed either... He was just... Neutral. How could he be more fun than this old man? Maybe this had been a mistake.

"Boring..." I shook my head, it didn't matter if it was a mistake. I had accepted the game and would play it, even if my future husband gave me the shivers. He was beautiful... but it all became eery with his stillness. My teacup clattered over the saucer and I cringed. Too much strength. A deep breath later, I clapped my hands and looked straight into beautiful cold blue eyes. "Well, it was lovely having you here, Zeno. I have a lot to discuss with Illumi."

His hand landed over his heart, almost theatrically. "Sending me away?"

"You've done your part." I stated more callously than I would've for anyone else. Politeness didn't seem to matter to the old man, so why bother?

"Heartless." Zeno threw at me, chuckling to himself something akin to "Made for each other" under his breath as he left.

We were left with a very awkward silence, broken only by Zeno's faraway voice. He seemed to be cheerfully greeting every butler. I wondered if his good mood was due to the fact that he had got this strange man out of his hair and into mine. I stared him down, taking in his slim build and odd garments. A purple crop top, with golden accents, was punctuated by a myriad of golden needles. His torso was covered by a lavender skin tight shirt. His baggy trousers matched the top in colour and tightened around his ankles. It was a good look on him, somehow. I assumed that anything would match his ethereal beauty and stillness. 

When my roaming eyes returned to his face, I noticed he, too, was inspecting me slowly. It was odd that I hadn't seen him blink yet. He must be feeling dreadful with dry eyes... The void like circles met mine soon after, and I fought the urge to run or cower away, curl my limbs around myself for protection or any of the matter. I had to stand my ground... even if he still hadn't blinked.