Chapter 6.2

James was in awe of the shining red locomotive parked on the tracks next to platform 9 ¾. The front half of its engine was jet black with the words Hogwarts Express engraved on a shiny red plaque. The rest of the train was a deep, polished scarlet and James could count at least twelve coaches behind the engine.

Witches and wizards of all ages bustled around him. Most were Hogwarts students already in their uniforms, the crest of their House embroidered on their cloaks along with the Hogwarts insignia. The rest of the students were just like him, first years with their all black outfits and still being fussed about by worrying parents.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked up to see his mum staring down at him. She gave a smile and nudged her head to the side. He nodded and pushed his trolley to the far side of the platform near the engine and away from the coaches where they were less people milling about.Hermione crouched down and straightened his tie. She arranged his hair as best as she could before giving up when it fell back to its original, unruly way. She brushed the lint off his robes and smudged at an imaginary speck of dust from his cheek. James gave a smile - his mum would usually fuss around him when she's worried.

"Mum, you don't have to worry you know," James reassured, taking hold of her busy hands. "I'll be fine at Hogwarts. I promise to do all of my assignments and send a lot of owls with Athena. I won't get into too much trouble too. I'll be good."

Hermione's only response was to draw him into a squeeze. He returned the hug with fervor and laid his head on her shoulder. "Oh I know you'll be alright, love. I just can't help it. I'll miss you so much. Promise me you'll write often?"

James nodded his head. "I promise, mum. Make sure you stock up on owl treats for Athena since you'll be seeing her a lot." He reminded with a grin, earning himself a small laugh from Hermione. She could always count on her boy to make her feel better.

Hermione reached into her bag and pulled out a small mirror the size of a compact. Its back was pure silver with small letters HG engraved on the surface. She handed the item to James and he took it curiously. "This is a two-way mirror which I created. It's enchanted with magic that would allow you to talk to me anytime you want from anywhere you are. I have the other mirror in the pair," she explained. "Just look into the mirror and say my name. Although... it's probably best not to leave that lying around. They're quite hard to come by."

James looked at the mirror carefully and nodded his head. It looked just like an ordinary mirror to him, but he believed his mum and stored it carefully away in his cloak. "So... does this mean you can help me with assignments?" He asked cheekily.

Hermione laughed and squeezed him. She'll really miss this son of hers.The train whistle sounded three times signalling its departure in fifteen minutes. Hermione looked to the Hogwarts Express and knew it was time to say her goodbyes."It's best that you head on to the train, love," Hermione said softly. "Drop off your luggage at the first coach, and take Athena with you to find a compartment. It'll be a while until you reach Hogsmeade, so try and be comfortable for the ride, okay? I love you."

James nodded his head and smiled. He reached around Hermione's waist and enveloped her into a hug. He stood on his tiptoes and pecked her on the cheek. "I promise I'll write often," he said. "I'll miss you, mum. I love you too." With one last smile, he let go of her and steered his trolley towards the train that is coming alive.

Hermione followed his figure until he disappeared into the crowd. She already missed him. She blinked back tears and let out a long exhale to calm herself. There really is no going back now. That night he'll be at Hogwarts and then his story will begin.

Hermione felt a small tap on her shoulder and turned to see a lady extending a box of tissues towards her. The lady was tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes also shining with unshed tears. "Hey, do you want a tissue? I never thought this would be so hard!" She told Hermione and sniffed.

Hermione smiled and accepted her offer before dabbing at her eyes. "Thank you. I've been preparing myself for this for months and I hoped it would be easier, but I guess not."The lady nodded. "I agree. I'm Rose, by the way. I didn't even know my baby girl - her name is Eleanor - had magic until we got her letter!""Nice to meet you. I'm..." Hermione paused for a second. "I'm Hermione. My son James is also a first year."

The two women smiled at each other and stood side by side as they watched the train compartment doors start to close. Five minutes later the train whistled long and the locomotive came to life. Its wheels started turning and the Hogwarts Express slowly made its way away from the platform and out of King's Cross. Hermione didn't realize her tears had started to fall until the box of tissues was offered to her again by a teary-eyed Rose.

"Hermione, I know we've just met and you might be really busy, but would you like to grab some coffee after this?" Rose asked as the train fully disappeared from view.

Hermione considered her question and looked at the friendly face of the woman next to her. Rose seems kind enough and Hermione had been longing for the company of another parent with a magical child. Hermione's friends have no idea that she's a witch and so she couldn't quite express to them her worry and anxiety over James' departure. Rose is someone who can finally relate. "I would love that, Rose." Hermione answered.The women turned and together they disappeared through the barrier.