Chapter 10

My body whipped around instinctively, coming into contact with a hard surface. I slowly pushed off the person's chest, raising my head to look at their face.

I was met with an intense stare, blue-green eyes surveying my every move.

"Did you miss me?" Loki gawked as a mischievous smirk tugged at the edge of his mouth.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered loudly as I shoved him into the room, looking over my shoulder, hoping no one had seen him.

"I missed you too, mortal," Loki said sincerely as his head tilted down to get a better look at me.

"I thought you were returning to Asgard?" I asked, skeptically.

"I did," he stated, bluntly.

"Then what are you doing back here?" I questioned, pulling my eyebrows together.

"Would you believe me if I told you I returned for you?" he hummed, smiling down at me.

I raised an eyebrow, crossing my arms.

"Didn't think so," he chuckled, shaking his head. "I had some business on Midgard that needed attending to."

"What business?" I queried, taking a step closer to him.

"Family matters," he explained, reaching out his hand to lightly touch my cheek. "I'm afraid I can't share the details of my excursion, elskan mín."

My darling.

I closed my eyes, flinching at the mention of one of his old pet names for me. I shook my head slowly, biting my lip.

"Why are you back on Earth?" I asked, quietly. I opened my eyes to find the Norse god staring at me with a pained look on his face.

"I already told you. Family matters," he repeated. He inhaled sharply, straightening his posture.

"What does that mean?" I whined, shaking my head. "Does Thor know you're-"

"No," Loki interrupted, taking a step closer to me. "Thor does not know. This does not concern him."

"If it's family stuff, I'm pretty sure that would concern him," I insisted, raising an eyebrow.

"Thor does not know I am here. No one does," Loki explained, lowering his voice as he shifted his stance to hover over me. "I'd like to keep it that way."

"Why would you come here if you didn't want anyone to know?" I questioned.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone of our encounter today," he urged, taking my hand in his. He lowered his head, his eyes pleading as they anxiously scanned my face.

"Maybe I'd be more obliged to keep your secrets if I knew why you were here," I stated, pulling my hand away and crossing my arms.

"My father," he stated. His eyes darted to the side as his tongue slid over his lips, thinking. "He needed me to...look into something for him. I'm just visiting."

"Visiting?" I asked, skeptically. "Like how you were 'just visiting' last time?"

"No, no," he laughed quietly. "Nothing like that."

"Hm. Okay," I teased, slowly. "I'll choose to believe you this time."

"Thank you," he whispered as his gaze softened. "What will you say if anyone questions the last time you saw me?"

"When exactly will people be asking me that?" I taunted, raising my eyebrows.

"I said 'if' you're asked," Loki remarked, a smile tugging on the corner of his mouth. "Not when."