Chapter 12

"You're in for a real treat," I said sarcastically as I watched the numbers climb on the elevator.

"This is insane," Sam gasped as he looked around the elevator.

"Welcome Captain Rogers. Agent Gray. Mr. Stark is expecting your arrival," a monotone voice rang from the speakers.

"Woah! Who the hell was that?" Sam exclaimed as he looked up at the ceiling, searching for where the voice was coming from.

"That," I laughed as I pointed to the screen near the door, "is J.A.R.V.I.S. Tony's Artificial Intelligence and the true reason for his success. He'd be lost without him."

"Thank you, Agent Gray. That is very kind. Perhaps Mr. Stark is wrong about you," J.A.R.V.I.S. stated over the intercom.

"What does he say about me?" I asked, intrigued and a little offended.

"It is better that I not say. Mr. Stark has not cleared your third party for entry. I am running a background check now."

"Sam Wilson, Air Force. 58th Rescue Squadron," Sam stated as he crossed his arms.

"Yes, I see that. Former pilot of the EXO-7 Falcon flight suit," J.A.R.V.I.S. explained. "I imagine Mr. Stark will have some thoughts about improving your suit for optimal-"

"Is this guy serious?" Sam asked, pulling his eyebrows together as he looked down at me.

"You get used to it," Steve shrugged, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

The elevator chimed as the doors opened, revealing the entryway to Avenger's Tower.

"Come on," I chuckled as I motioned for Sam to follow me.

I stepped out of the elevator and onto the gray tile. I let out a sigh as I took in the view of the city.

"Home sweet home," I hummed.

"I can't believe you actually live here," Sam exhaled as he did a full turn of the room.

"Yeah, you think after all these years they'd finally move out and get their own place," Tony's voice echoed from down the hall. "Tony Stark," he stated as he held out his hand for Sam to shake.

"Sam Wilson. Hey," Sam beamed as he took Tony's hand. "Nice place you got here."

"Thanks, it is pretty nice. You know, when it isn't being ransacked by these losers," Tony mumbled. "I never get a moment of peace when they're here."

"Nice to see you too, Tony," Steve chuckled.

"Always a pleasure Cap," Tony stated as he nodded his head in Steve's direction.

Tony turned to face me, a smile spreading across his face.

"Ah, Rambo. Nice to see you're still in one piece," he said as he raised his eyebrows. His eyes scanned over my body from head to toe. "Little rough around the edges. That's gonna scar," he stated, pointing at the gash on my forehead that was almost fully healed. "Adds a bit of mystery to the whole thing you've got going on here. I'm into it," he shrugged as he shot a wink in my direction.

Steve's posture stiffened as he inhaled sharply. He was glaring at the back of Tony's head as he walked away into the living room.

"So," Steve said slowly as he turned to follow behind Tony. "What information were you able to gather on the Hydra bases?"

Sam turned his head to look at me, raising his eyebrow in confusion.

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I followed behind Steve.