four

« memory like an elephant »

The first week back at Hogwarts had so far been.. good. Good for Corey, at least. Other than the fact that she had already been assigned a quiz and a paper the length of two parchments, it was going quite alright.

"I'm positively dying," groaned Mary as she lowered her head into the nook of her elbow. Corey and Val looked at each other with amusement as Mary's muffled voice made its way to their ears once more.

"It's only Thursday of the first week and I'm drowning in work!" Mary lifted her head and huffed. "How are you two staying afloat?!" 

Val chuckled and instead of answering, continued to work on the charm that Professor Flitwick had been teaching to them.

"It's because we use our free time to study and catch up on work instead of goofing off with friends." Corey replied, wanting her friend to understand, before also going back and practicing the charm.

Mary scrunched up her face. "So what you're saying is... instead of having a life, you two choose to be total nerds." She shivered with mock disgust. "That is just too high a price to pay."

Val reached over across Corey and hit Mary's arm. "I'll show you who's the nerd."

Mary was about to retaliate, before Corey stuck her hand out between the two of them.

"No way I'm going to be caught in the cross fire of this. If you twats want to go at it, do it when I'm not here please." Corey rolled her eyes and went back to practicing her charm, again.

She flicked her wand and said, "Aqua Eructo."  Suddenly, water erupted from the tip of her wand and into the cauldron placed in front of her.

"Very good Ms. Marren!" Professor Flitwick complimented her.

Corey beamed at her teachers approval and continued the lesson

🝮🝮🝮

Corey impatiently tapped her foot as she awaited Remus for their patrol. It was 9:25 when she left the common room and she was sure that it's well past 9:30 now.

The dark corridors surrounding her seemed endless in the late hour, the only noise coming from the faint whispers of the paintings around her. She fidgeted with her wand as she counted the seconds she was left waiting by her partner.

What felt like eternity later, she heard hurried footsteps behind her.

"Sorry I'm late!" Remus huffed, clearly out of breath from wherever he just ran from. "I was... just..."

Corey turned around to face him and rolled her eyes. "Didn't I remind you about tonight?" She turned to walk their patrol without looking back at him. "You told me you wouldn't forget yourself."