07 - Chapter Seven - Ambrose Grayson's Point Of View.

Three days into my job at the new ambulance bay, and both Mia and I were ready to call it quits. The people here were nuts. On our very first day, the first call was to attend a domestic dispute where the wife went bonkers and nearly murdered her husband with a frying pan. The second call was a robbery gone strange. The owner of the store locked the man in the ice bin.

I was thankful to have my very first day off. I was definitely going to rethink my choices about the career I was in. Mia dropped me back off at my apartment and crossed her arms.

"This looks unsavoury Ambrose, what did you get yourself into?"

"Relax, it's only temporary until I find something better."

"We will see about that." Mia said before she drove away, and I frowned. I knew she was only behaving in this manner because of the shitty day we had just put up with. There weren't as many Mafia related calls, but the calls that came through were worse than some of the worst mafia related ones we dealt with on the daily before here.

Inside the apartment, relaxed back on the couch, I closed my eyes and enjoyed the silence. Mochi curled up on the couch between my legs and I moved him before he could get comfortable.

"Sorry, old man, I have to get showered and changed before we can look at sleeping. You just go get in the bed, and I'll meet you there."

Peeling off layers of my work uniform, I was happy to see the shower. We used the showers at work, often. But Mia and I both turned those down, given we didn't know everyone in the new bay and did not trust anyone.

Washing in the shower quickly, I shivered when I got out. Part of me half expected to see Mochi there outside the door, pleading for his last chance to get more food before bed. Rather, I found him in the bed, waiting for me. Getting under the blankets, it didn't take long to pass out.

Waking up, the people above me were loud as fuck. Checking the clock, it was a little after eleven. Laying there until twelve, the noises were getting louder by the minute and I was growing annoyed. I understood they were working and shit, but I was far more respectful than they were being while they slept.

Grabbing my keys, wallet and phone, I messaged Mia, but she didn't answer me, so my next potential saviour was the man who helped me get here. Marco. I sent him a message telling him to leave the door unlocked and not to ask questions. He sent back an ok, and I shoved my phone back into my pocket. Leaving the apartment, I locked the door and bolted down the stairs. In my car, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was quiet.

Even with the heat on, I shivered all the way to Marco's in the tank top and sweatpants I was in. Parking my car beside his, I lightly closed the door and locked it, running to his front door, knocking once before running inside. I nearly slammed into him when I darted through the door. His arm stabilized me before he gave me a look, questioning everything.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes."

"I was heading to bed, I thought—---"

"Good, me too. I'll take your couch."

"Ambrose."

The way the man said my name had me pausing to look at him in the light from the kitchen. He was only in sweatpants and his ribs were taped, like I had forced him to accept from me days before.

"Long story, but I'm begging you to let me sleep on your couch, please, Marco."

"No."

"Eh! Please Marco—--"

"Hush. You can take my bed, and I'll take the bed in Wren's room."

"I couldn't ask you to do that, Marco."