Chapter 4 - Ella Y Yo

10:25AM - South Miami Library Branch

This has to be a power play. Lauren chooses to believe that over the other possible reasons as to why the fuck Candy didn't show up. She could've ran into trouble before or during her trip here, she could've been handling unexpected business she couldn't leave unattended, she could've been fucking her precious Benito and laughing with him at how pathetic her ex lover is to think she still loves her. Or she could've said no to this meeting for prideful reasons and didn't want to show Lauren she'd still answer to her every beck and call; after the way Lauren left things, it'd be foolish to assume Candy wouldn't turn the tables and call a meeting on her terms.

Maybe Candy did move on and Lauren no longer holds the kind of power that she once did—that it was wrong to assume Candy would be so willing to throw everything away, thrilled to welcome her back with open arms. Regardless, Lauren won't find her answers sitting alone at an empty table in a deserted library that hasn't even been opened for a full hour. She yanks her phone out her pocket and flips it open, almost breaking it in the process. Lauren covers her mouth and presses her fingers to her jaw, massaging away the tension as she waits impatiently to hear a voice on the other line.

"Yo."

"Socio, qué bola? You gave her that paper, right?"

"What you mean by that?" Ariel responds, uncertain if Lauren is referring to the money meant for Sasha from the safe at LC's former hideout or the slip of paper meant for Candy.

Lauren pinches the bridge of her nose and says through gritted teeth, "The address for your fucking boss."

"Oh! Word, yeah, I gave it to her."

"And??"

"She threw that shit away. And she told me to tell you she's not about to be your side bitch again, and for you to go fuck yourself for not coming straight to her when you returned."

Lauren looks heavenward as her hand slams against the table on its own before flying up to palm her face. She just laughs, that's her reaction before irritation kicks in and she's twitching with a dulled expression. "And you couldn't have told me that an hour ago so I wouldn't have wasted my time waiting for her like a jerkoff?"

"I'm so sorry, I'm smacked right now, not even gonna lie to you. The last thing on my mind is everything else except for this bacon egg and cheese I'm about to fuck up."

"No me joda, coño," she sighs, drumming her fingers on the polished beige wooden table. "All right, you enjoy your sandwich. Just give me her address, I'll go meet the bitch myself."

"Woah, you sure? That's kinda dangerous, Lo. She might not even be home right now and you might run into some problems if someone else were to recognise you—"

"I don't give a fuck! Give me her address," Lauren launches out of her seat and storms out the library without apologising for the ruckus she created. Ariel discloses Candy's home address and she immediately hangs up after that. She gets into the car Sasha rented for her and slams the door so hard, she's amazed the window doesn't shatter. "This fucking brat, I swear to God. You're not about to ignore me. Tuh!"

//

Coral Gables, Miami

"Estaré allí en quince minutos con mi corillo para recogelte." (I'll be there in fifteen minutes with my friends to pick you up.)

"Kells, Normani and Smokey are already waiting with the band of traitors they could find in the Everglades. Jasmine is still tracking down Jesús and the others but it's taking a minute since they went underground. If she doesn't have something on them by six, I need you to handle it for me. Just don't leave a mess or draw any attention when you do. Last thing I need is the police up my ass, the lieutenant isn't on my payroll," says Candy, dumping the ripe banana peel into the trash, still working on the last piece of the fruit in her mouth.