Chapter 21 - Unnecessary Violence

Wilmington, North Carolina
12:15pm

Mindful of both their triggers and what can possibly go wrong if not carefully considered, Lauren doesn't enter the hotel room without quietly dropping all shopping bags inside first before she slowly clicks the door shut. She remembers the frenzied way Candy would leap out of bed with the sharpest gasp, ready to fight for her life, and takes forever to settle her nerves once she understands that she has nothing to worry about because that loud slam of a door closing isn't a gun firing or an intruder breaking in. The gang leader smiles at the peaceful sight of her girlfriend still asleep, lying on her stomach with a pillow trapped between her arms, breathing with her mouth open and strands of her tangled hair draped over her face. All Candy does lately is sleep—more than anything else she does. Sleep is her priority.

Lauren creeps around the hotel room like a cat, sifting through the bags of food first to set on the coffee table by the bed so that Candy already has her cravings within reach the second she awakes. The next thing are the two boxes of brand new sneakers and shoes she spontaneously picked up when passing them by on display in a local shop, attracted to the purple hue of the elegantly crafted heels and the silver metallic sneakers laced with angel wings on the sides, known as the latest JS Wings dropped by Adidas. She was only supposed to pick up a few things they needed for the long car rides to New York, but ended up becoming dazzled and all too eager to follow through with her window shopping just to please Candy. If there is one thing Lauren can go crazy doing if no one was around to stop her, it is burning holes in her pockets from spending on gifts for her girl and herself.

She did experience a brief moment of having the urge to get some things for the baby they had on the way, but ultimately decided that's a shitty idea and a sure way to amp up her depression since she still believes that Candy giving birth is merely a fantasy. She's not so foolish to get her hopes up like that again despite being elated that they're expecting.

As careful as Lauren is, the sound of the plastic container snapping open gets to Candy, and the cartel boss is stirring in bed now, groaning and stretching with her eyes closed.

"Lauren?" she whispers, darting around.

"I'm here, mami," Lauren murmurs, setting up the plastic forks and knives and platters of chicken and syrup-drenched waffles with a side of onion rings. She meets Candy's sleepy gaze and crosses over to her. Candy reaches up to grab her by the fabric of her grey zip-up sweater, and she pulls her down for a quick kiss. "How ya feeling?"

"Hmmm..." Candy moans, stretching. She kisses Lauren again. "Well rested."

"You should be. You were out for ten hours."

"Oh my God...really? I'm sorry."

Lauren chuckles. "You need your rest, baby. Don't be sorry," she pecks her lips again and swoons when Candy does that soft, sweet, tired little moan she always does after waking up. "I got you some stuff."

"Oh yeah?"

"Your cravings from yesterday. Some fresh ass kicks. A fur coat for when we're in New York. Went through the checklist you gave me for our trip. Some new earrings since you lost your last pair. A pillow for the car rides."

"Come here, baby," Candy joyfully grins and cups Lauren's face in her warm hands, kissing her deeply, pouring all of her gratitude into it. She inhales her scent and drops her lips, biting her own. "Damnnn. You smell good. What is that?"

"Soap and lotion," Lauren pulls back when she remembers her hair is wet. "Sorry. I also washed my hair before stepping out."

"Did you spray new cologne?"