𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

{CHAPTER 0.6}
FIGHT

"Don't put me in a position where I gotta show you how cold my heart can get"

show you how cold my heart can get"

-f.m

🝮

" GOOD MORNING." Warlock began as he stood in front of the lieutenants and the Mitchells stud beside him in tone to what he had to say. "The uranium enrichment planet that is your target will be operational earlier than expected." Warlock went on Instead of just flat out letting us know what this means. "As a result, your mission has been moved up one week in order to avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation." I could tell just off the looks on their faces they were panicking, none of them had been successful in our training and yet that didn't matter anymore.

"Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course." Fanboy pointed out with hints of concern curling in his muscles. "Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on." Warlock brushed off, "Captain, Lieutenant." He stated wanting us to approach as he fell silent. "We have one week left to focus on phase two." My father pointed out, acknowledging that this was the most difficult stage of the mission. I continued on. "It's a pop-up strike with a steep dive. It may seem impossible, but it requires nothing less than two consecutive miracles.  Two pairs of F-18 will fly in a welded wing formation. Teamwork. Precise coordination of these aircraft's are essential to both mission success and your survival." Maverick went on to explain the miracles step by step with telling them the outcome of either team missing said target. "Guys, Egress is a steep high-G climb out to avoid hitting this mountain." I explained combing my fingers through my jet black hair. "A steep climb at that speed, you're pulling at least eight G's." Hangman pointed out. "Nine minimum." I assured, "The stress limit for F-18's airframe is 7.5." Roster added on. "That's the accepted limit to come back home, to survive you'll go beyond that." "Ma'am is this even achievable?" Phoenix questions me with this look in her eye, a look I used to get as a kid when my mom would dance on the island in our kitchen drunk off her ass. The look of fear..in her case she can the fear over power her. "The answer to that question will come down to the pilot in the box."

Maverick took the first team to the air Fallon had the second team. I listened to their success or failure over the radio Coyote wars in G-lock, the reason for most pilots deaths other than the enemy taking your life. They called his name over and over hoping for a response hoping he would regain control of his plane. Luckily he pulled up in time before burning in then seconds later bird strike B.O.B and Phoenix's aircraft with their engine failing and catching fire leading to instant panic.

🝮

In a empty room all alone where I found Brad wearing a fitted black shirt and his overall uniform low, beating himself up over something that was far from his fault. I slowly approached as our eyes made each others, "There gonna keep Phoenix and Bob in the hospital overnight for observation. There going to be fine." I comfort walking behind him placing my hands on his shoulders rubbing his tense biceps calm. "That's good." He mumbles as my hands fall still and he grabs ahold of one, taking it in his. My father soon enters I guess we both knew how Rooster would be feeling right now. "Doctor says they'll be able to come back in the morning."Bradleys eyes train to my father instantly, "You know I've never lost a wing man." Brad voices to the both of us. "You're lucky. Fly long enough it'll happen. There will be others." My dad spoke before turning to leave. Rosters body language shifts as he holds my hand. That's when I knew words were gonna be shared, "Easy for you to say." Brad begins, stopping my dad in his tracks. "No wife, only Fallon, barely anyone to mourn you when you burn in." He finishes, "Bradley." I state, moving my hand at his words. My father was hurt, so was Brad and instead of coming together Brads holding on to that pain. So is my dad. They have that in common. "Go home. Get some sleep." Maverick spoke gently, swallowing the pain and guilt he's been swallowing since Goose.

Brad jolted up shouting, "why'd you pull my papers at the academy? Why'd you STAND IN MY WAY?" He yelled. Maverick turned facing the young lieutenant. "You weren't ready. "—Ready for what? "Huh? Ready to fly like you?" —No. Ready to forget the book. Trust your instincts. Don't think just do. You think up there you're dead. Believe me." This is the conversation Both my dad and Brad had both been putting off in the end both their words were all gonna hurt the same, words cut deeper than a knife as the saying goes.  "My dad believed in you." That first stab hit the lower gut. "And I won't make the same mistake."Maverick looked at his daughter holding back tears hearing those words the young pilot walked in front of Rooster, extended her hand and slapping him. "Don't ever make him feel like he killed Goose because we both Know damn wel—" before I could finish Warlock entered, "Maverick."
I knew he was gone.
🝮

We all stood to salute, to honor him

We all stood to salute, to honor him. I stood next to Rooster in our full uniforms, tears fell one after the other a river like a never ending stream. How do say goodbye to someone who been with you your whole damn life? I helped fold his flag over the box he was in ,giving it to aunt Sarah who was beyond emotional but contempt. My father slammed his seal into Ice's coffin trying not to break down himself. He's lost the two man in his life that he saw as brothers. There's this numbing feeling filling my chest. It's all like a summer haze. We salute saying goodbye once more as the planes fly by. Goodbye. I whisper to myself closing my eyes hoping the tears stop falling but they don't.

 I whisper to myself closing my eyes hoping the tears stop falling but they don't

XOxo >