CHAPTER THREE

RELIANCE

CHAPTER THREE:

10:23 A.M.

WEDNESDAY

AUGUST 11TH, 2004

FORKS, WASHINGTON

....

                "Now, I'll be by to pick you up around two o'clock," chimed Malcolm. "If not me, then Marcus."
He said all this after parking his Dodge Ram 1500 in front of the Cullens glorious home.

The many windows of the house allowed them to peer into the place, letting the two take in the interior's beautiful, decorative, décor. It's lovely base paint brought forth a comfortability that eased one's very being.

The home itself was modernized with wooden posts and exterior metallic walls that helped aid in holding it upright. It matched the wooden door frames, complimenting the concrete stairs and surrounding sidewalk that led to the garage and all-around driveway. The encasing forest around the home offered a sense of security that protected the window bare structure from prying eyes.

Lorraine shuffled on the leather seat with one hand latched onto the door handle and the other clasping the set of crutches that sat nestled in between her legs in the front seat.

Here's hoping it's you that picks me up, instead of Marcus. Less you want him to try and flirt with Mrs. Cullen - which we do not need to relive that monstrous memory again."

"That little shit," a sigh leaves the man as he shakes his head, lifting his cowboy hat to rake a hand through his wild black locks.

That same hand is dragged downwards to scrub at his beard.

"Yeah, well, it was horrific. I've never seen him stumble over words before in my life and it was like watching a slow-moving vehicle collision. The Cullens that witnessed it were in a state of shock." She says with a grimace pulling at her face, one that held the minor disgust she felt.

"And Dr. Carlisle is aware of this?"

"Oh, and more," she reaffirmed, nodding her head to the house. "He was in their kitchen when Marcus began his blubbering confession to the sweet woman."

Malcolm plops the hat atop his head once more and groans in embarrassment. His reaction is one that she had acted on when the incident occurred and left her face a blushing shade of red, horrified that her brother would be so daring and so oblivious to the fact that the poor woman was married with five adopted children.

It was a day she would never forget and when she swore to the Cullens, and herself, that Marcus would never drive up their driveway to retrieve her from the beautiful home again.

"Well, never mind then. I'll be back to grab you, and I shouldn't be too long." He says after closing and opening his mouth in a state of shock.

"I'm heading to the shop in Port Angeles to get some paperwork done and get some of the boys there to pick up some of the slack since I'll be gone for a while."

"That's the better decision, I don't think any of us want to relive that day."

"I'll say."

The father and daughter duo chuckled together before he exited the vehicle to swing around the front end of the truck, till he reached her side. He pulled the passenger door open to grab ahold of the crutches she had offered to him, while moving her body closer to the edge of the seat to grab at his extending arms, holding onto his black Carhart coat.