CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER Three:

....

                Carlisle took his inspection of her health check quite seriously.

The golden Adonis figure of a man held her carefully in his hands as he took a good look at her sutures and the colorful bruises that speckled her pale flesh, assessing what he could with inquisitive butter-colored eyes. It was quiet in his office, except the occasional soft tones of whispers whenever his quizzical gaze would wander back up to her own, offering her a few ideas as to help ease the tension in her muscles and tendons, while giving some information on how well he thought her stitches and implant seemed to be healing. He stated then, after noticing the slight swelling around the kneecap itself, that he would be doubling her medication to soften the area enough that it wouldn't appear so swollen. And that he would be applying her to a doctor in Forks Hospital's physical therapist ward in a couple of weeks, as he could see her recovery was going along well.

All in all, Lorraine was tired by the time the tenderhearted doctor finished up on his evaluation. He rewrapped some of her scrapes and suture areas with gauze before leaving the office to allow his beloved to come in and help redress the girl in her casual clothes, instead of the hospital dress he'd kept as a spare for her checkup today. Esme shifted the paper-like material of the dress off her pale form, feeling her heart twinge with an echo of pain for the poor teen as she took in the wounds along her body.

But with a clearing of her throat, she went on and redressed Lorraine's low speaking tone. She buttoned the last of button of her flannel before stepping back, though she kept her hands entwined with the girl's once she shifted upwards, while leaning onto her crutches.

"Your injuries seem to be healing much better than they were, dear." Her voice broke the teen from her haze and brought her glacial-blue irises back to the woman's golden ones. "But how do they feel?"

"Achy, if I'm honest." Lorraine wiggled between the desk and office chair before she crutched closer to the warm woman with an affectionate smile tugging at her lips. "But Carlisle says that's how it'll be before everything heals up. And he thinks I'll be fully recovered in another five months from now. So, I'll take it as a win on my end."

"Oh, that's good to hear." The pleasant expression on Esme's face melted to one of joy.

A gentle chuckle comes up from somewhere beyond the door, that Esme herself can hear. It could only be Carlisle, who waits in the hallway while his wife tends to the mortal that their entire family came to cherish in their own way. His voice is soon murmuring down the hall to an awaiting Emmett (who had waited patiently while she was being seen too by his father.) Then as if he somehow knew that Lorraine was growing a bit curious as to why there was a certain twinkle in Esme's eye, he knocked on the door before nudging it open slightly.

"Everything alright in here?" His voice was smooth as molten liquid, warm and deep. It went with his toned frame that was clothed in some black slacks and a light blue button-up.

His playful look spoke of how he had noticed the drowsiness mingling in Lorraine's form.

"I was wondering if my patient was even awake, might I add."

"Of course, love. I was just about to escort Lorraine here to the stairs, so Emmett could carry her back down to the couch." Esme offered him a lovely smile in return before laying a gentle hand atop said girl's left shoulder.

"He's still waiting for me?" Lorraine's face was one of surprise.

"Why would he not be? Emmett's been taking his position as your chosen caretaker seriously, I will say." Carlisle says with a sympathetic look. "It seems he's feeling very protective now- with what happened."