chapter 4 • familiarity

I quietly close the door of my bedroom, trying my best not to cause any noise.

I've spent the whole night talking to Spider, and I feel like I am the happiest I have been in a while. But, there is another emotion evident inside of me: confusion.

Spider and I are both perched on the roof of the facility building, so close our shoulders are touching. The dark sky is illuminated by thousands of bright stars.

"...we ran through the whole forest. There were these huge fallen branches that we had to balance on—" He moved one hand high in the air, gesturing the extremity, "And we were so high up I thought I was totally going to fall." Spider had this look in his eyes when he was speaking about something passionate.

I gazed up at him, never breaking concentration on his words. It felt just like old times.

"I've missed your stories so much." I breathe out, pulling my knees up to my chest.

He spent hours catching me up on all of the new things he has seen and explored. Mentioning the glorious Sully family quite a few times, like he has always done. We looked at the sky and I explained almost every constellation to him.

"Do you sometimes wish you had a real family?" Spider broke a growing silence. He has a serious expression on his face as he looks up at the stars.

"All the time." I exhale, "Yes, my mother is alive back on Earth...but she's a woman I have never known."  Spider nods at my words.

I notice that his head is hung low, and the joyful boy I have been talking to has become sullen.

"I'm sorry you never knew your parents Spider." I speak softly, placing my hand on his bare shoulder. 

"Who needs them anyway? We've turned out just fine." Spider turns his gaze to me with a crooked grin. I smile back at him and mutter in agreement.

The moment has ended but neither of us move. We just continue to stare into one another's eyes. Our joyful expressions turning to a somewhat serious one.

Spider shifts closer to me, our faces now closer than they have ever been before. Dangerously close. My heart begins to beat faster; I wouldn't be surprised if Spider heard it though my chest.

"Spider?" I whisper, afraid of breaking the air that has grown still around us. He hums in response, his eyes flicker down to my lips, and a desperate look flashes in his eyes—but only for a moment.

"I...I think we should go back inside." I quickly blurt out, turning my head away from him, my hands clasping in front of me. It's as if I am trying to pretend nothing has happened.

"Yeah-Yeah. It's getting pretty late." The disappointment is apparent in his words.

I lay in my bed, the scene replaying over and over again. I can't understand what I am feeling. I've always seen Spider as my best friend, the familiar boy from my childhood.

But my heart has never beaten so fast, I have never felt this kind of admiration for anyone.

Deep down, I have known the reason this whole time, and tried to unknowingly push the thought away.

I have feelings for Spider Socorro.

I grab my pillow and use it to cover my face, annoyingly groaning into it.