chapter 7 • not a second longer

I stopped running and rested my hands on my knees, bending over to take in gulps of air.

I have been trying to find Spider ever since he stormed off, but it's been hours and I still haven't had a glimpse of his dreaded hair.

I've looked in every possible place! This might actually be hopeless.

As soon as I caught my breath, I had already begun to run again. This time, I was confident I would be successful.

I weaved in and out of the white clad scientists throughout the laboratory, bumping into a few of them and muttering a quick apology under my breath.

I finally reached the familiar vast windows of our secret hiding place and surely enough, Spider was slumped on the floor.

"Hey Tarzan." I sit beside him and try my best to have a peppy tone in hopes of clearing the tension.

Spider only lets out an exhale in response.

"Alright what is up with you lately?" I finally break. I can no longer take the nervous glances and short conversations he offers. "I understand that you feel upset but don't you understand I am trying to be here for you?" My voice began to grow louder with every word I spoke. Spider made no attempt to move.

He obviously does not want me around right now.

I push myself to my feet and hover there for a moment. I expect him to say something. But the silence continues on.

I could feel tears sting the corners of my eyes, and mentally urged myself not to let them spill.

Why is he acting like this?

I squeeze my eyelids shut and turn away to leave.

A hand grabs my upper arm and I am pulled into their chest.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry..." Spiders voice is filled with panic as he rapidly repeats his apologies.

His arms tighten securely around me, but I stay frozen for a moment; my hands stiff at my sides.

I can no longer hold back my emotions, and tears start to slide down my cheeks. I throw my arms around Spiders torso and begin to quietly cry into his shoulder.

Spider just holds me, for what seems like hours, and no words are spoken.

There is a silent understanding between the two of us.

I finally loosen my embrace on Spider, and he does the same. Both of us distance ourselves from one another, taking slow steps backward, and letting our arms fall.

"You just...mean a lot to me Lainey. And sometimes, I just want you all to myself." Spider whispers. His big brown eyes gaze into mine, and his eyebrows are slightly furrowed.

I wipe the remaining tears off my face, and offer him a small smile.

"Let's get back to the Sully's," I suggest, forcing myself to turn away from him and starting my descent down the hallway. "They have been waiting for us for a while—"

"Laine come away with me tonight."

I halt my movement, and all I can do is stare straight ahead.

Spider walks so he is now standing in front of me.

He swallows, almost appearing nervous at how I will respond; I only give him a blank stare.

I would like to jump up and down, laugh excitedly and scream "Yes yes yes!" but it's like my body won't move. My throat feels dry and my mind is in shambles.

Spider had never actually asked me to leave before. There has only been imaginative discussions about it.

"Listen, I know it probably seems scary, but I can't stand seeing you stuck here for a second longer." he quietly says, sadness etched across his face.

"You deserve to be out there" he gestures his open palm to the rolling mountains out the window, "more than anyone."

I consider what he says for a moment. It's true, I am scared. What if we got caught? What if something happened and one of us didn't come back?

I take a deep breath, ready to argue my worries, when I take a glimpse at Spiders face.

His tan skin is glowing from the soft light outside, and his dark eyes are shining with admiration. One look. One single look and he has me convinced to do anything for him.

You know you want to.

"Meet me outside my room after nightfall."

—————————————————————————

I'M BACK ! I am going to be honest, I deleted wattpad because I needed a little break to focus on myself. But writing makes me so happy and I am so glad to work on this story again for u all <3