07 | a funk-driven ride | i

CHAPTER 07

'A FUNK-DRIVEN RIDE'

part (i)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"LOOK, GIVE THE ANTIBIOTICS TIME TO WORK."

"The antibiotics should've worked by now," replied the nurse.

Chaeyoung, who had been minding her own business with another chart she filled in, also can't help but eavesdrop on the conversation between the intern and his nurse. The same particular male intern who talked to her a couple of hours ago.

"She's old. She's freaking ancient. She's lucky she's still breathing. Now, I got a shot to scrub downstairs and a patient who wasn't alive during the civil war," said the male intern before giving the chart and walking away.

Right. The interns shot to scrub in with Dr. Jungkook.

It was the highlight for all interns.

But not for Chaeyoung, who still thinks it was a sick twist that the man she slept with last night is her attending. Also not a highlight for Jaehyung as he felt he is the new 007 and nowhere should be near any patients, and Jennie was somewhere in this hospital waiting for her very first-time hang-out in an operating room.

Except for one.

Chaeyoung closed her chart and snapped at the male intern with spectacle, "what?"

Wonwoo, who appeared in front of her, leaning his body on the counter, eyes staring straight up at her soul, was something hard to miss.

"I want in on Dr. Jungkook's surgery," he started, as expected, and then continued as Chaeyoung walked down the hallway; he followed beside her, "you've been the intern on the patient since the start. Do you want to work together? If we find the answer, we have a fifty-fifty chance of scrubbing in."

The male intern was nowhere near bothered by the fact that all his intern-mates were not interested in Jungkook's surgery.

"I'll work with you, but I don't want the surgery. You can have it," Chaeyoung stated, not so enthusiastic.

Wonwoo furrowed his eyebrows, "did you puke your sanity out too last time? It's the biggest opportunity any intern will ever get."

"I don't want to spend more time with Dr. Jungkook than I have to."

"What do you have against him?"

Well...

Before Chaeyoung blurted out her last night memory to her first-day-intern-mate, she turned to Wonwoo, stopping them in the middle of the hallway, "if we find the answer, the surgery's yours. Do you want to work together or not?"

It was the first time Chaeyoung swore she saw Wonwoo smile before turning it into a grin and shaking his head enthusiastically, "deal."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

One thing good about the whole teaching hospital is that it provided them with a library, one giant library where they could find any book about medicine without stepping out of the hospital.

An hour later, as part of the deal, Chaeyoung was still helping Wonwoo with Yeojin's case.

They sit face to face, leaning on the bookcase as books surround them, opened and closed, thrown near them when they think it isn't good enough to answer the mystery.