No. 666 AKA Rose Oriana

"Um...S-Shadow-sama, may I ask why you are all the way here?"

No. 666, AKA Rose Oriana, new Queen of the Oriana Kingdom, asked the tall figure cloaked in jet-black slime before her as she bowed low.

I'm honestly still surprised. Who would've thought that Rose-senpai became a member of Shadow Garden in addition to being the Queen? Hmmm...I can't wait to see her reaction when I reveal my identity to her.

Despite not raising her head, Rose could literally feel Shadow's gaze piercing right through her soul. (Cid's gaze really was that intense. Not that he was aware of it.) Yet, despite all that, she somehow felt...safe. There was undoubtedly no small amount of awe and wonder, but also a deep sense of security.

"Raise your head."

Rose slowly lifted her head to stare nervously at Shadow, his face hidden beneath his mask and hood.

"How are you?"

"...Huh?"

"Have you been adjusting well to Shadow Garden?"

"Y-y-yes!" Rose stuttered, still feeling shocked and more than a little touched that Lord Shadow would be concerned over someone as new as her.

"I've been adjusting well. Alpha-sama and everyone else have been very kind to me."

"Hmm. That's good."

Rose waited for Lord Shadow to continue speaking, but he just stood there, his crimson gaze staring right through her. His gaze made Rose squirm.

"Is there anything you want to ask me?"

"Huh?! N-no..." Rose bowed her head. There was something she wanted to ask him, but...how could she ask him such a stupid question?

"Are you sure? Whether a question is truly wise or foolish is unknown until it is asked."

Rose widened her eyes. So this was the fabled 'Shadow Wisdom'.

"Yes, Lord Shadow! W-well, if you'll excuse me..."

She took a deep breath, and stared into Shadow's eyes. Her eyes felt like they might be incinerated under his burning gaze, but she pressed on.

"Lord Shadow...are you, by any chance...Cid Kageno?"

The silence that followed seemed to last for an eternity, and as Rose's heart sank to the bottom of the ocean, she prepared to apologize hastily, but-

"Long time no see, Senpai."

Shadow had pulled back his hood and taken off his mask, revealing a very familiar plain-looking boy with jet-black hair smiling at her.

Rose could only stare at him, utterly transfixed. "C-Cid..."

Yes, I did it! Rose-senpai has finally realized I'm Shadow! Will she be like, "H-h-how is this possible?! You were so weak!" or "I can't believe you were Shadow when you were such a mob!" I can't wait to see-

Rose had rammed into him and flung her arms around him.

"Cid...it really is you...you really were looking out for me all along..."

Huh?

"All this time you were fighting evil without asking for anything in return...you're truly such a great person..."

Rose continued sobbing into him, while Shadow stood there, frozen.

Well...this was not what I was expecting. But if Rose-senpai seems happy, I guess there's no problem. Also...this doesn't feel bad at all...

Slowly, Cid wrapped his arms around Rose, patting her back soothingly.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey, leader. Whaddaya think they're talking about?" No. 665 asked.

"Whatever it is, it must be something important." No. 664 stated.

"Ah...Shadow-sama looks so magnificent and invincible! He's even more handsome than I imagined him to be!"

"Shut up, you idiot! Shadow-sama isn't meant to be looked at so casually!"

"EH?! But I was just-"

"Wait! What's Shadow-sama doing?! It can't be-"

"It can't be- he's taking off his hood! And his mask! I can't believe this!"

"H-h-he's actually showing No. 666 his true face! What's happening?!"

When Rose flung her arms around him, it took all their willpower not to jump out screaming at her. When Lord Shadow actually returned the hug, that was too much for poor No. 664 and 665. They fainted.