Five: The Twilight Zone

First Draft

Fiona's POV

Although I still felt exhausted, I woke up several times before sunrise. It felt like I was living in an episode of The Twilight Zone. Every time I roused, I reached over to make sure Kat was breathing. Relieved she was alive, but I wondered when she would wake up. I was alone and scared and needed her. Dammit, Kat could help me talk this through. We could figure it all out together like we always did.

As I lay in the dark, I kept going over everything that had transpired and I had questions. Things were going to change when I saw Rowan again. He demanded explanations from me, but now it was my turn. Why did his skin burn from the silver? And why was he so worried about Wolfsbane? He insisted my father hunted and killed creatures of the night, too. Why would he care?

I sat up in bed and whispered, "Oh shit!" A snippet of conversation stood out in my mind. I had asked if they were vampires and Rian denied it. It made sense, I suppose. Would they have still fought the guy at the club if they were vampires? Did all vampires get along? I didn't have the answers, but crazy as it sounded, I feared Rowan and his family were not human.

The very idea was laughable and never in a million years would I believe something so absurd until now. After last night, I saw with my own eyes that other creatures besides humans exist. I saw an actual vampire, I thought and swallowed hard. My mouth was dry, and I was desperate for a drink. I didn't want to drink bathroom water, nor did I relish the idea of waking anyone yet. I wasn't sure how to face these people or things-whatever they were. They could be dangerous and I was terrified.

I scrambled off the bed and padded to the bathroom to relieve myself. Standing in the darkened room, I closed my eyes and counted to ten. When I opened them, I could make out the room better. After using the toilet, I washed my hands and splashed cool water on my face and that's when I remembered my purse. Where was my purse? I raced from the room, my gaze landing on the clothes Kyra had brought. I thought my purse was on the bed.

Where's the damn light switch? "Aha," I whispered and crept to the door in case Rowan was on the other side. My finger flipped the switch to the left of the door and I stood unmoving for a moment and listened for any sounds. Hearing nothing, I wandered around the large room looking for my purse, to no avail. I even checked under the bed. That bastard had my purse with my cell phone! I was furious. Furious and parched.

Anger always gave me my courage, and I grabbed the clothes, picking out a pair of joggers and a Janis Joplin t-shirt. At least the kid has good taste in music, I thought with a smile. Janis Joplin was one of my all-time favorite female singers and I felt this was a good sign. Call me silly, but I believed in things like fate and signs. However, I needed to wipe the grin off my face, stop singing 'Bobby McGee' in my head and return to being bloody pissed off. If not, I'd lose my courage.

Once dressed and concentrating on being held captive by a stranger who may or may not be a vampire or warlock, I rapped my knuckles on the door. I stood with my hand on my hip and waited... nothing. This time I pounded on the wood using my fist.

Bingo!

I pressed my ear to the door and listened as the footsteps sounded closer and closer on the tile and leaped back just in time. The sound of the door knob turning had my heart racing, and I was prepared to fight for some answers.

"Good morning, sunshine," Rowan said straight-faced through clenched teeth and followed it up with a sarcastic-looking grin. He reminded me of the Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood.

I shivered.

"My father is not a murderer," I yelled and cursed myself. Dammit, Fiona! That was not what I planned on saying.