Before the Storm.

Danielle's pov

"Are you okay returning to classes?" Haerin lifts her head to look at me. I nod silently, assuring her that I'll be fine as long as I keep my wits about me.

"Don't do that, unnie. Please use your words," she urges. "I'll be fine. I just need to gather myself before leaving," I respond.

Haerin remains silent, her gaze intense.

She scrutinizes me as if trying to read my thoughts, and I find it strangely comforting. "I'll be off then," she declares.

I watch her leave the room quietly, the door closing with a soft click. The darkness returns, and I sigh, reluctant to get up.

I finally muster the strength to stand, gather my belongings, and open the door.

The hallway is still crowded, and the stares I receive reignite a flare of nervousness within me. "Just look down, pretend they're not there," I tell myself.

They're not there. They're not there.

Brushing against a few shoulders, I ignore the glares directed at me. Turning sharply right, I glance up to see Professor Kim entering his room with his morning coffee.

"Professor Ki—" I begin.

"Danielle-unnie!"

That voice is unmistakable.

I turn to see Hyein, her face alight with joy at seeing me on campus. It's uplifting to know someone is happy to see me.

It was a feeling I hadn't experienced in some time.

I smile at her, bracing myself for the joyous girl's affectionate embrace.

Hyein hugs me tightly, and I respond with all the warmth and love flooding through me. "How are you?" I ask, stepping back. "I'm great! Just finished an exam last period!"

"How do you think it went?" Hyein pauses, "I definitely gave it my best." Her unchanged nature makes me chuckle. "Of course, it's the effort that always counts, Hyein."

Hyein examines me, shifting uneasily. "Actually, I was looking for you before second period but couldn't find you."

"Oh—I had some important matters to attend to then," I fib, recalling my time with Haerin, sorting things out.

"But now that I found you," she halts. "Do you think..." I gaze at her, puzzled.

She suggests another hug by leaning in, and I immediately understand. I embrace her gently, fearing that too tight a hug might break her.

"Feel better?" I ask, tilting my head to catch her expression. "Much better," Hyein responds. A soft smile graces my lips, "I'll make sure to find you later, 'lil lady. I've got art class soon."

"Sure! See you later, unnie," she calls out, disappearing into the throng of students. I rub my arm, heading to art class.

The exchange wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. I've endured worse.

Upon entering, the first thing I notice is Hanni, absorbed in her painting, sparking my curiosity about her intense focus.

"Unnie," I call to get her attention. "What are you doing?" My gaze shifts between the canvas beneath her and the focus in her eyes.

"Just working on an assignment for extra credit," she responds flatly.

"Hanni? Extra credit? That's a surprise," I tease mockingly.

"Be quiet. I need to do this to boost my grade to at least an A," she retorts. I hum and settle into the seat beside her,

"Wasn't your grade already top-notch?" Hanni nudges my arm with her elbow. "Just kidding," I add.