2

Dan and Meg had been going out for almost three years. That night felt so distant, but Meg always insists she remembers like it's yesterday.

Maybe it was the alcohol, or the embarrassment, but Dan couldn't remember a thing.

He remembered he asked her out, he remembered driving her back to his house, he remembered waking up the next morning sweaty, sick, and alone.

That night was his first time. Not just with Meg, with anyone. Despite what rumours spread around his highschool may have told you, Dan wasn't a very sexual person in his teen years. He didn't particularly enjoy it as an adult either. It felt clumsy, like he was doing something wrong no matter how many times Meg told him it felt amazing.

It wasn't her. It's not like it didn't feel good, it just didn't feel right. She was great, she was pretty, she was soft. She knew what she was doing. She knew what she liked, but, "But nothing, it's fine. I enjoy it. I love it. I love her." Dan found he'd have to remind himself that frequently. It was the truth. He knew that. Life with Meg was easy, it was the right thing to do. It was the normal thing to do.

"It's the normal thing to do, and I felt good doing it. What other options do I have?" He spoke under his breath as he cleaned dishes from the dinner he'd cooked for the two of them. "She loves you, Dan." He sighed and placed the freshly washed plate down, forcing out the words. "You love her too."

"Danny?" He spun around frighted, quickly replacing his look of surprise with an awkward smile. "Hey-" She chuckled a bit at his reaction. "You alright?" She snaked her arms around his waist, "You're taking a while." He nodded quietly. "Awe, you're all quiet now?" She pecked his cheek. "You were just having a lovely conversation with yourself." He opened his mouth to answer but was swiftly cut off again. "Anyway, Mr chatterbox! Ready for bed?" Her tone was teasing as her soft hands slid up his sides. Dan felt his face grow warm, he was never sure how to react when she was like that.

Megan rolled her eyes and began to tug him off to his room. He couldn't stop her now.