Chapter 15: The Door

As I woke up and turned to stretch I could already feel Dustin was out the bed, because I could no longer feel the heavy, warm weight of his arm over me.

"Get enough heat last night?" I heard a voice from the left

I rubbed my eyes and turned over as I yawned.

"Uhh...yeah" I mumbled, I felt my cheeks go red. This wasn't supposed to happen.

"This probably shouldn't happen again" I said as I pulled his sheets off and walked over to the bathroom to freshen up.

He didn't reply and I saw a smile on his face from the corner of my eye as he tasted some batter on his finger.

His hair flopped over his face as he mixed the mixture on the counter.

I closed the door behind me and took a deep breath as I looked in the mirror, my hair was tangled, and frizzy, my skin was paler than ever before. I held back tears as I washed my face.

My brain was empty and full of thoughts at the same time, like I had submitted to what was happening. I brushed my teeth and walked out of the bathroom.

Dustin was already making pancakes, the entire room smelt sweet, making me feel warm again.

"So how many would you like?" He smiled over at me.

I sat down on the couch and smiled over at him.

"5, with maple syrup and cinnamon please"

He winked at me before turning to the stove again.

"So what's the date today?" I asked, I had honestly forgotten to keep track of the days.

"It's the 18th"

My heart sank. It was my birthday tomorrow... and usually I would've spent the week looking forward to the dinner and all the presents my family got for me.

I guess this year I'll be alone. With a stranger, and no answers.
I wondered what was taking my father so long...was he even looking for me?

Dustin walked over with a plate in hand

"Here you go, as requested" He joked holding it out to me.

I faked a smile as I grabbed it from him
"Thank you" I mumbled

He got himself a plate and sat down next me as he began to eat.

Breakfast had never been so awkward...I was too busy thinking and my heart felt heavy knowing I can't be with my family.

It was all his fault and he won't even tell me anything, and here I was eating pancakes next to him. And the fact that they were great wasn't helping.

We ate silently and when Dustin finished he took both our plates and washed them

"I'm gonna head out for something, I'll be back in an hour" He said as he put his jacket on

I didn't respond, my vision blurred as tears welled up.

He paused for a second...

"Okay" He closed the door and I heard the lock.

As soon as I heard the truck start and drive away I broke down, I cried until my sleeves were wet.

Why me?

I had had enough.
I stared at the door, the only actual obstacle in my way.

I felt the blood rush to my head as my face went warm, I got up and bolted for the door crashing into it shoulder first.

If Dustin only locked the door with one key when he left, it means it's only one lock to get through. I punched at the door before hauling myself at it again, the wood was hard against my knuckles, my anger consumed me, I kept going harder. I ran over the to cabinet and got a knife and fork and tried to wedge the door open or pick the lock buy no luck I scratched at the edge just hoping I could push the knife between wedge and make my escape. There was a jar of berries on the counter and in my anger I smashed it into the door, the glass shattered as all the berries scattered onto the floor, i knelt down in defeat.

Nothing worked and my hands were a bloody mess. I screamed as I sat against the door with my back and buried my head in my knees.

I sobbed until my thoughts turned to darkness.