Chapter 11

If they had not been on the interstate Reiner would have slammed on brakes.

"You haven't contacted these people?!?!" Annie, smacking Porco on the back on the head.

"Well-I was just so preoccupied with getting my parents on board and doing research...I kinda...just forgot to call" Porco said ducking Annie's hand.

"Well I vote to stop until you call them" Annie said.

"I second that" said Bertholdt and Reiner.

Porco was panicking a bit. He knew that she should have called. But to be honest he was afraid. He was scared that they family would say no.

"Look I don't plan on just showing up to their house" Porco mumbled. "But I just don't know how to approach the situation.

"I think that's a fair point, it would be kinda if a tough topic to bring up" Pieck said softly.

Porco was glad to have her support.

"But Porco you gotta promise when we get to Texas you call these people. Or call them sooner" Pieck said.

Porco agreed to call them when they reached Texas.

"I hope you have enough money to pay for a hotel." Annie said flatly.

"We will be fine right Porco?" Pieck said.

"Yeah...sure we will be fine."

*********************************************
About 3 hours had passed. By that time only Porco and Reiner remained awake.

Porco couldn't resist his burning curiosity.

"Why did you agree to this? I thought you hated me"

"Hate is a pretty strong word" Reiner said.

"Ok extreme dislike"

"Well I just know how important closure can be to someone...my aunt really convinced me to come."

"Again I'm really sorry about your uncle." Porco said.

"Thanks...he was like a dad to me since my own dad...." He trialed off.

"Big thing I just needed a break from home for a bit, I don't think I'll get to go to far from Trost for college so I thought here was my chance. Plus Marcel was like a brother to me, and I feel like I never got to say my goodbyes you know"

"None of us did" Porco said flatly.

"Did he leave a note?"

Porco shook his head. "If he did he hid it well or my mom threw it away."

"Why would she do that?"

"Since Marcel died, my mom has tried to act like everything is normal. I think she's scared that if a note is found that Marcel will place blame on her, hell I'm scared that he will place blame on me. Marcel was kinda the golden child, and sometimes I resented him for it. I'm scared I may have let that show."

Porco continued. "I always felt like I was living his Marcel's shadow. Like I had to prove myself...we were fighting a lot the months leading up to his death"

Reiner let out a sigh. "Look Gabi and I still fight even after her dad died. It's what siblings or cousins do. It may not mean much coming from me, but I don't think Marcel would have placed any blame on you"

The two remained silent, as the road stretched on.

"So...your dad..."

"Don't wanna talk about it" Reiner said. He put on some music, signally that the conversation was over.

Porco put in his ear buds and stared out the window.

The clouds were beginning to gather high in the air.

A storm was brewing up ahead.