sixteen: Nova

(Lindsey Morgan as Nova)

{2 Years Ago}

"You're awake?" I say leaning against the door frame, crossing my arms over my chest. The all too familiar olive skinned girl turned her head over her shoulder locking our eyes. My lips keep a small smile looking at her but when she doesn't meet me with one and turns her head my smile falls and a low sigh escapes my lips. "Alright what gives Nova? You've been different for the past couple of days."

"We just had sex and that's what you say?" Nova asks, a scuffed chuckle escaping her lips. I nod and drop my head pushing myself up from the doorframe and walk further into the kitchen, over to where the girl is. I gently slide into the bar stool beside her, seeing her phone in front of her with a beer. My eyes flick between the two before looking at her side profile, sinking my teeth into my bottom lip.

"What's wrong?" I ask, watching her brown eyes close for a second then reopen as she adjusts her position. My eyes watch her closely tilting my head. My gaze softens as she picks up her hand and runs it through her hair. "Baby?"

"I got the call," Nova whispers and my brow furrows reaching over and placing my hand over her hand, slipping my fingers in between her's. Our fingers interlock and I watch her brown eyes glance down to our hands. "I get deployed tomorrow evening."

I close my eyes and nod my head slowly. I turn my body towards the woman and reach up my other hand, beginning to run circles slowly on the girl's back.

"They said it wouldn't be this quick. They said-" I nod and move my hand up and across her shoulders before coming back and moving her hair gently out of her face and tucking a strand behind her ear. As soon as I do the girl turns her head towards me, locking our eyes instantly. Tears well into her eyes as I tilt my head and I bite my lip nodding slowly. My wife moves forward swiftly and releases our fingers from one another and engulfed me in a hug. I feel her sink into me as I hurriedly hug her myself, feeling her squeeze even tighter.

"It's going to be okay," I whisper closing my eyes.

"Y/n... We were supposed to have more time before I was deployed-" Nova whispers and I nod. "They told me at least 5 months. Not almost a month after we got married."

I stay silent, pulling away gently but not too far. Instead when we pull away I rest my head against the girl's forehead and reach up my hands cupping her face in them. I look at her seeing her eyes closed, feeling tears slip through them anyways.

"We got this. You got this-" I pause and rub my thumbs back and forth against her cheeks. Her eyes slowly opening. There I meet her sad, teary brown eyes. I give a small smile and nod against her forehead while keeping our eyes locked. "I love you Nova Brooks. Forever."