XIII

It was chilling outside, as it was nearly every single day. Each breath was visible to the exposed aperture of his eye. The rising sun was shining painfully in his eyes, blocking the sight he hardly needed as he dragged his feet across the cul-de-sac, keeping his head down yet still knowing exactly where he was. He knew the area well; the rocks had not changed since he was a kid. No pebble had turned, no plant replaced, and no house changed since he and the twins paraded the streets every single day of their care-free summers as youngsters. Time never passed; the world had only changed.

Just as the sidewalk rounded and looped around, his feet sharply directed up the driveway of the warmest house on the block. It was a peacock blue with a happy red door, a grey roof, and an assortment of wildflowers in the dirt behind the rose bushes. The beautiful linger of once fresh Bitterballen hit his nose like a tank. But, no doubt, he was at his other home.

Joseph and Noah lived in a small community-like neighborhood where every neighbor knew each other and every detail about them. There were regular barbeques, picnics, and parties they always invited PJ to because he was merely a part of the family in the Jenssen's eyes. He never felt like he was imposing, though, especially when the twin's mother would make traditional Dutch snacks to all the parties that were to die for. He was American by birth but Dutch by heart, and my stomach too most of the time.

His dusty sneakers rubbed against the welcome mat on the neatly stained porch. The hands in his pockets reached out to the bright door. He balled his hand and tapped the door lightly, not wanting to wake up everyone in the home. Just alert the one person he knew would be awake by now.

The nervous energy of waiting was keeping him on his toes. It wasn't often he would do something like this, and if ever, it was for emergencies only. Was this really an emergency? Not all that much, but he was still here and could see a faint figure from the shaped glass thunder down the stairs. It was too late to turn back now.

The door locked and clicked before it calmly opened up. Joseph stood there, a hand on his face as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. His glasses were missing, and his hair was pointed in all directions. He was in some of his more casual attire, a dark muscle shirt and basketball shorts, as well as two socks of different pairs protecting his feet. He looked at PJ for a few long seconds before mustering out anything comprehensible, "PJ...? The hell are you doing here? It's not even a school day," the tired boy questioned.

"Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry to wake you up, but I need a huge favor, and I kinda need it right now." Joseph continued to stare at him with tired eyes, as confused as ever.

"You need a favor from me? At 5:45 in the morning? Is everything okay, dude?" His worry was increasing each second.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything is okay, just, please. Can I please ask a favor of you, Joseph? I know it's early, but I really need it." Joseph took a large breath, looking into his house again and listening to the silence. His parents and twin brother were all heavier-sleepers than he was. Knowing he more than likely could get away with helping his friend, he turned back to PJ and gave a slight nod.

"What do you need?" PJ smiled, giving a relieved and happy sigh with a bit of glee following. Joseph let the door slide open a little wider for the excited boy to hop inside. Immediately the warm air of their heater took effect on his skin and made him relax, all of his frozen senses returning to him. He turned back to the twin, shutting the cool air out and locking it.

"I need to make a loaf of pumpkin bread!" Joseph got caught between a laugh and a choke. He covered his mouth in an attempt to keep quiet, but that was barely working as overwhelming shock flooded his system.

"Really, PJ? Pumpkin bread?! At 5:45 in the morning?!"

"I know, I know! But I really need it!" Joseph pinched the bridge of his nose, his tired mind flooding with the situation at hand. Finally, his eyes floated back to the hopeful PJ, his excitement dulling the more delayed his answer was. But, Joseph merely sighed and moved towards the kitchen. PJ perked up, blushing happily and taking the same path to the kitchen with the twin.