1• Survival

It was today. The day she partakes in the nerve-straining exam to be enrolled in zelerinx  academy.

  She had practiced nonstop for the practical aspect of the exams and thenceforth, would put in her sweat and hardwork like she's always done.

***

  This was thauma year DCXX.20, yet just like years, decades, and centuries before now, the world is infected by deadly deleterious plagues.

  They, were known as Canis.

  A specie of canine bearing demons whose desire was to feed on humanity for their daily luxury, and superegotatory pleasures.

  Every year, to help slay the Canis, young citizens from around the various kingdoms are recruited and tested before they are enrolled into the prestigious Zerelinx academy.

  A secluded place that was mostly for the royals, nobles and people highly skilled in magic.

It was a school, a slayer organization, and a safe haven for the many eradicators who held centuries of secrets about the Canis, magic, and the noesis of the past.

  Nonetheless, It so happened to be that a mere young girl was unexpectedly invited to take part in the two exams for the Zerelinx academy's enrollment.

  Her name, was Latona.

                                     -  -  -

  Clad in a thick warm hood, she looked intently, from the corner of her hooded eyes, at the troops of well clothed young individuals that were waiting patiently for the second stage of the exam to begin.

  This was the largest number of people she had ever seen since birth, but that would be saying something, seeing that on a daily basis, she saw no more than five individuals, for a certain reason.

  The hooded, somewhat intricate robe had a faint symbol embroided smoothly at its back. The hood concealed virtually every part of her face, making her look unrecognisable in the eyes of any.

  She released a sigh as various obscure memories scurried through her mind.

  Still standing at the spot, she grimaced as some vague childhood images lingered on.

A memory from 10 years ago...thaumayear  DCX.20

   The little girl whom Latona could see in the memory fragments, woke up with a start when an extremely loud noise filled the room. It was coming from the direction of the large diamond adorned door.

She removed the quilt from her body and tumbled out of the bed.

Straightening the clothes she wore, the little girl sauntered towards the door.

Her hand reached for the knob and turned it before poking a head through the opening, but then she gasped as she came to witness a sight that was inexplicable, heart shattering, and memory dormant.

  It was a sight that left her in deurmekaar.

  The memory showed Latona a place; there were pile of bodies on both sides of a woman who was with a long sword that was dripping of blood.

  Unearthly looking monsters were lunging at the woman as she repelled their attacks.

  She could also witness the use of witchcraft or was it sorcery or a skill chant? She couldn't tell as the memory was quite indecipherable.