4• Sweetened smooth ride

Latona's glance rested on top spot with the golem whose body was now shriveling and erupting into particles.

  A fragment of a lour became slightly visible on the scape of her face as she kept staring dumbly at the spot the thirteenth golem they had—more like Zephyr had—eradicated, once stood in.

  After sometime, she whipped her head over to Zephyr's direction and could only sigh at how improbable the boy was.

  His face was calm, calmer than it should be, especially after having decapitated many a golems without breaking a sweat. The only flaws were the wounds.

  They had dealt with quite enough troubling foes since their first golem polish off, as they each had noticeable cuts and slight gashes on several parts of their bodies.

  Not minding at all, Zephyr sighed a bit, dusted his clothing and began walking forward as the others followed suit, for they were now used to such sequence.

  They had been cautiously tracking after the trails of the lambent tiny leaf blades of the aforesaid golden shrubs which would lead them out of the Anomaly grounds.

  These shrubs were so flyspeck in size that it was such an arduous task to locate them and go forward with the directions they were giving.

  Fatigue seemed to be newly made friends with them all as they hadn't caught a wink since two days straight and were now dawdling a bit—bearing dark tints beneath their eyes.

"You know...sometimes I do wonder whether the people of Zelerinx are in their right minds." Amaree started.

"Firstly, they nearly kill their candidates by sending golems with fearsome bloodlust. Now I ask. What for?! Cuz I know that if they were modal minded, they can still do their selective enrollment with only the written stage exams. And once they're done, they train the enrollees—since they desire skilled students.

"Well, They don't stop at that, you see. They go ahead to make the environment dark, dim, and eye-tiring.  The golems aren't even real creatures of nature—they can survive even in the day. But no! They put a setting, darkness, which should be used only and only when battling with a real canis." Then she paused.

"Gah! They must be bored or something—"

"Okay Amaree," Latona interrupted. "They get your point, but do focus. The assigned time is almost up, and we need to locate the exit soon. Complaints will do us no good." Then she shook her head, still in a daze about the girl she so happened to be paired with.

How could many words come out from so little a person? She thought to herself.

  For the first time since so long, Latona didn't get irritated or detest another's incessant rambling or talkativeness. Rather, she seemed to quite like Amaree's company, but just a bit.

  Looking upwards and towards the dark tinged skies, Latona heaved in a healthy breath. One she hadn't taken in, since being confined in Liminai for quite a long time.

  About a minute later,  Zephyr halted his steps and so did the others standing adjacent to him. He stared blankly at the space in front of him noticing that it felt to a small extent, abnormal.

"What is it?" Amaree asked.

"The gold leave trails ceased." Latona replied in Zephyr's stead.

"But there's no exit yet." The petite one frowned confusedly.

"So it seems, but not quite." Zephyr countered.

"It's an illusion."

"It's an illusion."